Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

14 years in prison laser strike on Helicopter

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:27 AM

I just found this story online about a guy who got 14 years in Jail because he fired a laser pointer at a helicopter, WOW, Bet that will learn him.

Federal criminal charges were brought against both of them in March 2013, with a three-day trial concluding in December 2013. Despite his lawyer's best efforts, in March 2014, Rodriguez was sentenced to 14 years in prison. His punishment is believed to be the harshest such sentence for firing a laser at an aircraft anywhere in the United States, possibly even the world.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/blinding-light-the-us-crackdown-on-not-so-harmless-laser-strikes/

To harsh or what?

I do not think it was,  I think this sort of story should be in the main stream media to warn others.

What do you think.

Edited by NickAu1, 24 May 2014 - 12:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

Blinding a pilot with a laser should be considered Attempted Murder.

#3 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Yes there have been quite a few cases in OZ with people doing that and all they get is a "smack on the wrist" as they do with most crimes committed in OZ. I agree with you Spyware Doctor.

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

Thanks center. :)

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

"smack on the wrist"

Yes some of the laws here are a joke, In a lot of cases here they get less for Murder, In Australia the avarage for murder about 20 years with about 12 to 15 years non parole, In the last say 20 odd years there have been some grusome murders here and only a few of the killers have actually been sent away for life ( Life being the rest of your life behind bars). Here its all about the poor criminal and what caused him to go bad rather than the victim.

Got to love the US system where you get 300 years Jail type of thing. Lets see em apply for parole after serving 2/3 of that.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

I live within a mile of an airport and a few years ago there was a spate of attacks on planes landing there with high powered green lasers.  AFAIK the perpetrators were never actually caught.  Blinding a pilot of a landing jet could easily kill 100's of people, even if that is not the intention of the retards who do this sort of stuff.  So yes I think a real punishment of several years in jail is entirely reasonable.

Where I am even if the UK courts impose a tough sentence, you can bet that the crim will go to the European Courts to protest that it's an infringement of their Human Rights, and whatever Europe says goes unfortunately.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

Where I am even if the UK courts impose a tough sentence, you can bet that the crim will go to the European Court

Wow I never knew that.

And Hi Jon long time no see.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hi Nick :)  I've had a few Shiraz's (Australia's finest) so probably not in the best frame of mind to gas on about legal matters... :hysterical:  IMO it's true that the US generally has a more sensible justice system for really bad characters, while in the UK they can play the system with the lefty European courts and their bizarre rulings...  Abu Hamza for example was a seriously involved in inciting terrorism and living it up at the taxpayers expense, safe in the knowledge that he could not be locked up. Until that is he got extradited to the US where hopefully he's facing a thoroughly unpleasant time in jail for the rest of his life...

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

I've had a few Shiraz's (Australia's finest)

Try 1 of these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Penfolds-Grange-Shiraz-1979-Magnum-Red-Wine-/231110835800?_trksid=p2054897.l5667

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

Thanks, but out of my price range I fear :)  If I win the Lotto I'll give it a try!

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 -Psychopath-

-Psychopath-

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

I think it is harsh, considering plenty of people convicted of murder get less lol

#12 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

Go ahead LOL, take out a USA airline full of passengers and I guarantee you will be swimming in neck-deep undiluted bovine fecal matter.

Edited by SpywareDoctor, 27 May 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

Go ahead LOL, take out a USA airline full of passengers and I guarantee you will be swimming in neck-deep undiluted bovine fecal matter.

Like the Aussie band dragon used to sing.

Take me to the April sun in Cuba, oh, oh, oh
Take me where the Army is gonna treat me
So right, so right, No rights

Dragon - April Sun In Cuba Lyrics

The actual lyrics.

http://www.songlyrics.com/dragon/april-sun-in-cuba-lyrics/

Edited by NickAu1, 27 May 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

Since the most critical time for aircraft is taking off and landing. The margin for error is very slim. Would any of these 'people' try this 'game' with a family member on board the aircraft they target? Not likely.

Reckless endangerment of hundreds of individual lives? Thats pretty cheap spread out over 14 years. I say hundreds because if the copter had crashed how many on the ground would have been killed or injured? The imposition of any sentence is intended to be a deterrent to others to not commit the same crime. 14 years for putting that many at risk is a deterrent of sorts. Sadly there is no deterrent known to man for sheer stupidity.

This a sample of what a laser attack looks like in a cockpit. I've seen first hand much worse. It looked like a signal flare went off in the cockpit.

122456080.png

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

The margin for error is very slim. Would any of these 'people' try this 'game' with a family member on board the aircraft they target?

Yes they would as they are too stupid to realise what they are doing.

Slightly off topic. And ploitics aside.

June 28, 1914, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, Assassinated.

That single shot is still being felt today in places like the middle east and the Ukraine, How many people have died because of 1 mans stupidity/ideals All up over 200 million easy.  That shot started people like Hitler,Stalin and that bunch.

Can you imagine if some idiot used a laser on the jet with Putin's son/daughter on it and it crashed. He would use Nukes as revenge.

Sadly there is no deterrent known to man for sheer stupidity.

Yup you cant fix stupid.  I love watching those youtube videos where they do stupid things and get hurt.

I call that Darwin's theory of evolution in action. The survival of the fittest and the elimination of the stupid from the gene pool.

You cant legaly import laser pointers into Australia anymore.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 May 2014 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users