Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - 0x1000007e / 00000007a

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ChazzK

ChazzK

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:50 PM

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE read this whole post before answering, as I've posted on other forums and gotten run-arounds and generic responses to do things I've already tried...

For the past couple of weeks I've been getting random blue-screens with either of the above codes, the 1000007e referencing atikmdag.sys, the 000007a just freezing up and not even creating a dump file. I've looked up dozens of help issues online, and tried a number of issues.

1) Being told that it was the driver, I completely uninstalled, used a program (the name escapes me but it was referenced on another post from this site) to completely wipe history of the video drivers from my system, reinstalled, and manually re-unpacked, again from the instructions on a post on this site. Still got crashes. Tried putting in the latest driver as well as rolling back to ATI's 13.25 drivers, crashed.

2) I was told it may have been an issue with the files or the hard drive, so I ran System File Checker and that fixed a bunch of corrupted things, and also ran both CHKDSK and standard Windows 7 scan disk, as well as Western Digital diagnostics. All came up fine, and it still happened.

3) I was told that it might be a memory issue, so I ran the latest Memtest overnight and it found nothing. Figured "Hey, let's be funny and say that it might be an issue with the sticks anyway", switched with my room-mate because we have the same rigs except for motherboard and hard drives, discovered one of my memory slots ACTUALLY WAS messed up, moved to slots 1/3 instead of 2/4. Still happened.

4) Was told that the "voltages" might be the problem, but also that MSI boards are notorious for not updating internal configurations when detection is set to Auto instead of manual; I cleared the CMOS memory and returned all the settings to factory default, then let it re-find. I haven't crashed YET, but this was only done last night, and the crashes have often been several days apart.

I'm at my wits' end, especially since with half the posts I see it's nothing but one person after another saying "I've done all these things that people say works and nothing has for me, even switching parts and reinstalling windows and changing settings and getting whole new cards" and everything else... I just hope to get SOME kind of help, or hope or assurance here.

Current specs:
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz HD96ZTWFGRBOX

GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100365BF4L Radeon R9 270 2GB

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG

PSU:Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:06 AM

Hi there, lets see if I can help

First off I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. What was loaded or uninstalled (if anything) before this happened? (the BSOD).  Meaning you get any windows updates, load a new program, etc?
  2. Has anyone had you do a system restore from your restore point or refresh?  (I ask because this would be the fastest and easiest way to solve your issue)
  3. Do you know how to use Windows Debugging tools?

So some info for you.  From Dell.com Tech support

STOP 0x0000007E (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

STOP 0x0000008E (KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

These two errors indicate that a program running in the kernel encountered an unexpected condition it could not recover from. They have identical troubleshooting and resolution steps, and you will probably need to use the Windows Debugger to find out what caused the error.
Things to check:
  • If the Blue Screen message mentions a driver or library file, figure out what driver or application that file is part of and update or disable it.
  • Update the system BIOS to the latest available revision.
  • Uninstall any recently installed programs, and roll-back any recently installed drivers.
  • Run diagnostics on the computer's memory.

What comes us in Blue Screen Viewer is

atikmdag.sys    atikmdag.sys+128f6f            

These are

ATI Radeon graphics driver system driver file.  You can read more here.

Solutions are as follows: (some which you have done)

1. Make sure you have enough disk space.

2. If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.

3. Try changing video adapters.

4. Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.

5. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

So run through these steps, I did not see where you looked to update your BIOS.  Make sure you get the Chip-set drivers also (if any) install them (the Chip-set) drivers 1st, then BIOS updates.

For step 5 here is some info on Disabling caching or shadowing in BIOS

When you are done with this let me know what you find or what happens, if you have any questions please ask before you do it.  Please all me 24 hrs to get back to you, but I will check in a few times EST USA. Tomorrow if I can.

Good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 spark33

spark33

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

my suggestion would be to uninstall the video driver, take out the video card and replace video card with a know working video card from another pc, also check your fan and make sure its fine and working correctly. also post some info on your pc setup from some thing like sandra lite so that board members can have a lot a what kit you have installed and take it from there.

#4 spark33

spark33

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

sorry i did not see that you have already posted info on your system.

#5 ChazzK

ChazzK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

I'm at less than 50% capacity across multiple drives.

As I said before, I have both updated and downgraded my video driver.

I had tried a windows restore early on, yes, and it was still happening.

The only thing that was really changed was one hard drive failed completely on me and I got a new one, but that was a few weeks before thsee problems started. I had also gotten a USB headset rather than my prior one that plugged solely into the sound card. I hadn't installed any new software that I can recall.

I also ran in-depth virus/malware checks, nothing came up.

I have also swapped both video card and memory sticks with my room-mate as we have the same setup, except for specific hard drives and I have a different motherboard, since the one I had originally gotten went belly-up after about a month and they didn't have any of that one in stock any more so I had to get a new one as a replacement. The problems still happen to me.

#6 spark33

spark33

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

what a pain,presume that all hardware kit is win 7 compatible, my next step would be to swap out the power supply, and before you go down that road  see if your motherboard is compatible with your graphic card that you have i noticed that you have all the same kit as your mate, except different motherboards.

#7 ChazzK

ChazzK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Definitely made sure everything was compatible before buying, I've been burned with that too many times in the past... I haven't had another issue SINCE resetting the BIOS, so maybe it's finally fixed? If not, the next thing to swap out is definitely PSU

#8 spark33

spark33

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

Bios can be a cause of bsod, may be worth upgrading the bios.Hopefully though,reseting the bios has done the trick,fingers cross. :guitar:

#9 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:20 AM

So you grabbed all the drivers etc.  Did you do a system restore or refresh (as it was called)?  This should allow you to take it back of a point before the issue started, thus making it work right again.  You can also grab debugger software for free from Microsoft, install and run it,

This process takes time, but it will find the issue, and allow you to decode it and fix it.  Read more about it here.

Download SDK here.

Other than that if you need more help you need to grab Bluescreen viewer here.  And include the dump file and post it.

Also use Speccy found here.

After you install, and run it, click FILE and Publish Snapshot.

Copy and paste the hyperlink to this thread.

good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users