Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Syskey Questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 junk-yard dog

junk-yard dog

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/534606/locked-out-of-windows-7-forgotten-password/ - Hamluis.

My first post.  Hello everybody...I hope you are all doing well.

What brings me here?  In my case this is a client's machine.  She is an elderly woman who has become a victim of a phony tech support agent that set up her Windows 7 PC with a SAM lock using the SYSKEY.EXE command because she refused to pay the ransom.  This subhuman being also turned off her System Restore so there are no restore points to work with.  Also, for some reason the Registry

Hive files in \windows\system32\config\RegBack all are dated two years ago and have never been updated by Windows.  I suppose I could restore those and do a repair install and she'd be good to go, but I

would like to avoid that if possible.

I understand that disabling the SYSKEY is possible using one of the Password edit tools available for free on the Internet, but that by disabling SYSKEY in that fashion the result for a Windows 7 system

is a continuous re-boot loop.  I did read a post on this site by another member that a technician can purchase a tool somewhere that will disable SYSKEY on Windows 7 without the unintended reboot issue.

If someone knows of this tool or another functional approach I would be please to hear from you.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 23 May 2014 - 08:18 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/reset-syskey-password/c4d52cdd-b8b1-43da-857b-8fe19fab10d5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users