Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly shuts down-need to make sure what is the real problem.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Wait, you are finding it works when you switch the rams around?

Would you mind doing a memtest?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Hi,

From everything I'm reading I suspect either the PSU or a heat problem.

I have no objection to any specific power supply. I only caution that you do not spend more than necessary for the product. Something in the middle of the price range should be quite adequate.

The heat problem is a remote possibility.

Keep us posted

The story about heat : 

With stock cooler(while running prime95 it went to 90 C if I remember correctly): 

350ksb7.jpg

Computer was shutting down randomly,then sometimes I had to wait 30min before my pc would work again(before it would turn back on),it use to shut down just when it got on to the log in screen..And then one day I couldn't do anything with it other then idle in bios,if I let it boot to login screen it would shut down. So I took pictures of bios and posted a question and they told me the cpu temp. is too high so I got a cooler and it sliced the temp. in half.

With hyper 212 evo : 2im7r0j.png

I don't want to spend too much money thats why I ask for suggestions,You said 550w might not be enough so tell me which psu to get!

#18 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

Wait, you are finding it works when you switch the rams around?

Would you mind doing a memtest?

Like I said I ran memtest as soon as I bought the ram to test it and 0 errors. (Also I didn't run it for an hour.. I ran 20 test or something I think) 

The memory is fine...probably.

What is weird to me if it is a heat problem how come it crashes sometimes only when I'm in a game or browsing or anything but It didn't crash for 24h while the processor was completly stressed out with prime95 ? o.O

Edited by Bioxed, 25 May 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#19 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

Hi,

The heat may not be in the CPU, it could be one of the video components or elsewhere on the motherboard. I'm still voting for the PSU to be the problem.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#20 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Well before I spend money on an expensive psu let me know ANY information you need,if you're only thinking about heat let me know what temp. you want me to check(also I don't have a gpu)

#21 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

Hi,

My experience has been that heat and the PSU are the most common problems when there's a crash with no crash data. In your case I'm still voting for the PSU.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#22 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:56 AM

It most likely is,but what other temp. Should I look at to see if something is overheating

#23 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

Hopefully this helps about temp.

#24 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:15 AM

It sounds like a heat problem - probably either the CPU or the PSU.

If everything just shuts down immediately and I mean everything at the same time, it is probably a PSU fault - you could take it to a computer service shop and ask them to put a load on it and test it, as well as check and see if the fan(s) works properly.

If not everything turns off at the same time, it is unlikely to be a PSU (but, with computers, there's a lot of theory,  and then there's reality!).  I am not familiar with Prime95 but its description would only put stress on certain parts of the computer, mainly the CPU.  If you're having a problem with either the sound or video (since you said it happens when gaming, they are suspect), you may want to find diagnostic tools.  I believe FurMark is used to try to overload the video, but I'm not sure of one that is used for sound cards.

If you think that a card is the problem, you could try removing every card, attach your monitor to the built-in port (if there is one, if not, keep the video card in) and then try to stress it out by running a variety of different resource-consumptive programs simultaneously.  If nothing happens, add a card and repeat.  Keep doing that until you find what seems to be the culprit (if you get that lucky), then strip out the other cards and try to overload the system with only that card.  If it happens again, then the card is most likely faulty or, if it has a fan on it, the fan is not working correctly.  If it doesn't happen again, but it does when the other cards are added back in, then it is more likely to be a mainboard problem, but I can't say that for certain.

Alternatively, you could try each card individually and try to overload the system.

You could also get SpeedFan (available in BC's download section) and use that the check temps and fan speeds, and even control fan speeds if you think that, for example, your CPU's fan is culprit.

If you know the manufacturer of your HDD, you could go to their website and download their diagnostic tool (be sure to backup your data to another drive before running it, just in case!) to test, since it is designed to look at more than problems with files, the folder structure, bad sectors and the like.  It should be able to tell you if something is amiss.  FYI, I had a problem with a new Seagate a few years ago, but initially the test didn't find a problem.  After multiple runs and an independent test at a computer shop, it was confirmed there was something wrong with it.  Since it had been sent as a gift to me from overseas, I had no way to get an RMA.

If you are good at maths and electronics, you could figure out how many watts all of your stuff on your computer draws and buy a PSU that is at least 50-100W more powerful than that.  I'm terrible at figuring that out - I just know that it's better to overkill than have PSU fails. ;)

I hope these ideas give you some...ideas. ;)

Namaste, peace & love,

Glenn

Edited by RevGAM, 26 May 2014 - 03:21 AM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#25 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

It sounds like a heat problem - probably either the CPU or the PSU.

If everything just shuts down immediately and I mean everything at the same time, it is probably a PSU fault - you could take it to a computer service shop and ask them to put a load on it and test it, as well as check and see if the fan(s) works properly.

If not everything turns off at the same time, it is unlikely to be a PSU (but, with computers, there's a lot of theory,  and then there's reality!).  I am not familiar with Prime95 but its description would only put stress on certain parts of the computer, mainly the CPU.  If you're having a problem with either the sound or video (since you said it happens when gaming, they are suspect), you may want to find diagnostic tools.  I believe FurMark is used to try to overload the video, but I'm not sure of one that is used for sound cards.

If you think that a card is the problem, you could try removing every card, attach your monitor to the built-in port (if there is one, if not, keep the video card in) and then try to stress it out by running a variety of different resource-consumptive programs simultaneously.  If nothing happens, add a card and repeat.  Keep doing that until you find what seems to be the culprit (if you get that lucky), then strip out the other cards and try to overload the system with only that card.  If it happens again, then the card is most likely faulty or, if it has a fan on it, the fan is not working correctly.  If it doesn't happen again, but it does when the other cards are added back in, then it is more likely to be a mainboard problem, but I can't say that for certain.

Alternatively, you could try each card individually and try to overload the system.

You could also get SpeedFan (available in BC's download section) and use that the check temps and fan speeds, and even control fan speeds if you think that, for example, your CPU's fan is culprit.

If you know the manufacturer of your HDD, you could go to their website and download their diagnostic tool (be sure to backup your data to another drive before running it, just in case!) to test, since it is designed to look at more than problems with files, the folder structure, bad sectors and the like.  It should be able to tell you if something is amiss.  FYI, I had a problem with a new Seagate a few years ago, but initially the test didn't find a problem.  After multiple runs and an independent test at a computer shop, it was confirmed there was something wrong with it.  Since it had been sent as a gift to me from overseas, I had no way to get an RMA.

If you are good at maths and electronics, you could figure out how many watts all of your stuff on your computer draws and buy a PSU that is at least 50-100W more powerful than that.  I'm terrible at figuring that out - I just know that it's better to overkill than have PSU fails. ;)

I hope these ideas give you some...ideas. ;)

Namaste, peace & love,
Glenn

Like I said I don't have a video card or any card really. I wrote everything I have in specs.
And yes everything shuts off at the same time. Also check my other posts to see hard disk condition.
Thanks for the advice to test my PSU I will do that!

Edited by Bioxed, 27 May 2014 - 07:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users