Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly shuts down-need to make sure what is the real problem.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bioxed

Bioxed

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

I need to make sure whats the real problem of my computer shutting down randomly.

Specs:
8gb ram
Intel core i5 3450S
Asrock h67m
Hyper 212 evo cooler
Old maxpower 400w psu
Dvd drive..
1 hardrive

Proccessor tested with prime95 for 24h worked no problems.
Got a new cooler (hyper 212evo) cut the temp. from 60°C to 36°C.
Got new memory(RAM) 8gb ran memtest,no problems.

It shuts down when I'm in a game but sometimes even after I log in or 5min of browsing..?
Which component is it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Welcome,

If I were to take a SWAG [translation on request] I'd start with the power supply. I'm not familiar with the old max power brand but the 400 W seems a bit light for the service.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

I tend to agree with dicke that it might be your PSU. However, you can also try to use WhoCrashed utility to find out what hardware is causing that unwanted shutdown.

Edited by Frozwire, 23 May 2014 - 08:06 PM.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#4 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:28 AM

70ggmb.png

I tend to agree with dicke that it might be your PSU. However, you can also try to use WhoCrashed utility to find out what hardware is causing that unwanted shutdown.

Nothing? I should also maybe note that I have a messed up case which doesn't close properly and such so may the grounding out be a problem? Sometimes  the pc works for like a month no crashing and then sometimes everyday for 5 times... I'm think PSU but please tell me what YOU think!

Edited by Bioxed, 24 May 2014 - 03:31 AM.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

A desktop case doesn't have to be closed for the grounding feature to work properly. I've often had boxes on the bench with the cover off to work on them.

My vote is still for the power supply. The lack of data from a crash tends to support that.

I'm thinking that it takes a combination of load and temperature for the failure to be triggered. [SWAG on my part]

Keep us posted

Dick E

#6 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

Great,thanks. I got told it might be the psu... How many W PSU? Is the XFX Core Edition 80+ 550W PSU - EasyRail technology too much? Would less be fine? I was thinking XFX because they're the best right?

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

I don't know which PSU is the 'best'. 550W might do the trick but a few more watts will give you space to grow. I think my first jump was from 400 to 600. Currently I have an 850W installed. I also have a bit more hardware installed.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#8 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, I definitely don't want to save money on a PSU right? Thats why I want to make sure psu is 100% the problem! Could it be my hardrive? I took it out from my laptp that is like 3years old by now... And is it 100% not my case being proper?
I'll get an expensive psu if it really is the problem 10000% Beacuse I don't wanna waste money which I already did on RAM which was fine and the cooler...

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hi,

You can run CHKDSK /R from the command prompt as the administrator to check the HDD. Depending on the brand the manufacturer's site may also have a utility program for testing their drives. Seagate / Western Digital provide free utilities.

I'm not sure I understand the comment about the case not being proper.

Don't spend any more than necessary on the PSU. Other components are going to break and they too will need replacement. A fantastic PSU on a dead motherboard isn't going to make you happy.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

Just a note:  Even though we all say "run chkdsk /r to check your hard drive"...that's totally inaccurate.

Chkdsk /r is a file system tool, not a hard drive diagnostic.  Chkdsk /r checks the integrity of Windows files and the NTFS file system...if something is awry with the partition or the hard drive itself...chances are that chkdsk /r will not be of any value, other than to confirm that you have problems.  The fact that chkdsk /r gives a summary of bad sectors...arises from the check of the partition structure and Windows files and the effort to reclaim any files which are placed in bad sectors.

Louis

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Thank you sir,

Difference noted.

Dick E

#12 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

Also Hard Drive malfuction would give you a BSoD rather than just shutting the PC off. When it shuts off, do the fans keep spinning and the lights stay on, or it shuts down completely?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#13 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:36 AM

It shuts down completly,also another thing since I built this computer I NEVER got a BSOD just shut downs.Sometimes it wont turn back on or it turns on and tgere is no screen so I switch the ram slots and restart which works sometimes but sometimes I turn the pc on and the fan starts to spin like 1%then gives up,starts,stops...feels like its struggling like theres no power or such, but when I switch the rams again it works?
The HDD is Hitachi

The case,I tried modding it and customizing it but in the end it turned out pretty messed up so now I can't put the case windows or doors what do you call it.. on.

Also I said that I would buy an expensive PSU since you said xfx 550w isnt good enough...

Tell me your suggestions!

Edited by Bioxed, 25 May 2014 - 02:58 AM.

#14 Bioxed

Bioxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

qs8lrl.png

2nhhsph.png

Ran hard disk test (in disk sentinel) no problems.

#15 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

Hi,

From everything I'm reading I suspect either the PSU or a heat problem.

I have no objection to any specific power supply. I only caution that you do not spend more than necessary for the product. Something in the middle of the price range should be quite adequate.

The heat problem is a remote possibility.

Keep us posted

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users