Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help! Deleted/ changed file name rpcss.dll

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 savag30ne

savag30ne

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Dumb mistake.

I was trying to remove the virus Trojan.Zekos.Patched

I booted into safe mode with networking

went to the file, changed the name from rpcss.dll to rpcss.dll.bad

the computer died.before I had a chance to put the new copy of the file on the computer. Now my computer WILL NOT boot. I get to the option screen for Safe mode/ Safe Mode with Networking/ Safe Mode with command Prompts/ Normal Mode

I have tried all boot options. After I select and option it goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor. I can't get anything to come up to correct the file. 

Does anyone with more computer knowledge then myself know how I can fix this? PLEASE, and thank you ahead of the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

If you have the file and just want to replace it, you can do it by booting up a small linux distro like Puppy and copying from a USB flash drive to the Windows computer. Download Puppy 5.2.8 (middle of page) and burn the iso file. If you are using WIndows 7, just double click the iso file or use a burning program like Imgburn.

Once you boot up Puppy, you will see your hard drive in the lower left of the Desktop. Clicking it once will mount the drive ( a green dot will show next to the drive) and open the File Manager. Attach the USB flash drive. A USB icon will appear next you your hard drive or CD drive. Click once and another File manager Window will open. Browse the File Manager Window of the hard drive to the location of rpcss.dll (C:\WINDOWS\system32). Drag rpcss.dll from the USB flash drive to C:\WINDOWS\system32. A dialog box will appear asking if you want to copy or move the file, select copy. Right click the USB icon on the desktop and select Unmount. Exit out of Puppy and reboot the computer.

And Welcome

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 May 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#3 savag30ne

savag30ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

awesome ill give it a try, thanks for you help.

#4 savag30ne

savag30ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

Im assuming I'll have to put puppy on a different usb drive to open it up on the computer that won't boot first correct? then when I turn the computer on it will boot up with the program?

#5 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hello! Here's all you need to know about Puppy Love( How to down load it and how to use it)

Great tool!

http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

Be sure to go to the bottom and click on page 2 to learn how to use the program!

#6 savag30ne

savag30ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

thanks!!

#7 e1999

e1999

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

savag30ne Thank You for the question--

JohnC_21 you are a Beast! Worked awesome!

You saved my A_ _ big time!

Thank You! Thank You!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,641 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

Your Welcome, Glad Puppy worked for you. As donetao said, Puppy linux is a great tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users