Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows media player wants to open every thing.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cowpoke8

cowpoke8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

every time I try to open any program media player opens and says it has a problem opening this nfile  and nothing happens.  How can I get media player to stop trying to open all my files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

It may be a bit brutal, but you could just uninstall it...

VLC Player is a far superior free player, which is free and lightweight.

#3 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hello! You can go into control panel-default programs- media player and choose which files you want it to open!

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,032 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

OR......just to throw in another choice......

I use THIS  

( SMPlayer is a free media player for Windows and Linux with built-in codecs, which can also play Youtube videos, search and download subtitles, and includes other features like a thumbnail generator and audio and video filters.)

It is open source

It is simple to set up

It is free

There are no "goodies" included in the download

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Hold on a second, if you got the exe file extension linked to Windows Media player uninstalling it  won't do a darn thing now will it

You should check what's going on with your file extensions, for what you are telling us it sounds like .exe was ser to be open by Media player

Edited by Datcoolguy, 24 May 2014 - 06:47 PM.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,032 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

Yup....file associations could be a winner....

so...  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/restore-default-file-association-on-windows-7/4b366c24-c451-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

This link assumes you are running either Vista or Win 7

If you are running another OS, you will need to tell us which one...

And then i would still install SM Player.  Link in my previous post.

If you still notice strange behavior...let us know please.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users