Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regarding Xp Re-activation. . .

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

I found this to be rather annoying today, but I was informed in the systray with a little star thingy that my "system had undergone significant hardware changes" and that I had 3 days to reactivate my copy of windows XP.

I was pretty sure I read at Microshaft, before putting in my new 300GB harddrive - that if all I was replacing was the drive, and I made no changes to the other hardware then I wouldn't have to re-activate. In fact I went to windows update lastnight and was able to download Media Player 10! :thumbsup: Heck, I've been using this setup for 3 years now without a hitch, and the only significant change I made was the harddrive, which I understood wouldn't require re-activation.

So why was it only after redoing drivers for my Intel Pro 100/ VE Onboard Network adapter, that I got hit with the re-activation message? Had no problems with the old drivers for networking, using the onboard Eithernet plug, but the drivers were for a Ethernet PCI card with the same chipset that I had installed and removed awhile back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:35 PM

I found this to be rather annoying today, but I was informed in the systray with a little star thingy that my "system had undergone significant hardware changes" and that I had 3 days to reactivate my copy of windows XP.

I was pretty sure I read at Microshaft, before putting in my new 300GB harddrive - that if all I was replacing was the drive, and I made no changes to the other hardware then I wouldn't have to re-activate. In fact I went to windows update lastnight and was able to download Media Player 10! :thumbsup: Heck, I've been using this setup for 3 years now without a hitch, and the only significant change I made was the harddrive, which I understood wouldn't require re-activation.

So why was it only after redoing drivers for my Intel Pro 100/ VE Onboard Network adapter, that I got hit with the re-activation message? Had no problems with the old drivers for networking, using the onboard Eithernet plug, but the drivers were for a Ethernet PCI card with the same chipset that I had installed and removed awhile back.

Your hard drive contains all the info sent to M/S so if you change it then you do have to re-activate it which is no problem if your copy is a genuine one. A harddrive is THE most significant change. Once you had installed the drivers for your internet connection then rightly so M/S found out you had changed your hard drive.

If it's a pirate copy help is out there.

Pip

Edited by Pippincp, 24 May 2006 - 04:47 PM.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:00 PM

If it's a pirate copy help is out there.

Pip

As a gentle Mod reminder:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.
If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such
content and/or ban the user.

I will have to insist that any discussion regarding piracy will not take place.

BleepingComputer.com Message Boards Rules

Scarlett - Forum Mod

#4 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:32 PM

As a gentle Mod reminder:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.
If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such
content and/or ban the user.

I will have to insist that any discussion regarding piracy will not take place.

BleepingComputer.com Message Boards Rules

Scarlett - Forum Mod

Saying help is out there does not mean I condone piracy it just means it's out there to be had. If the poster had given full details to his problem I would not have to post this reply to you!

Edited by Scarlett, 24 May 2006 - 06:33 PM.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

Hello Scarlett, Actually as I have read the post I see no where in it that this person is asking to have this repaired or any work arounds it looks to me like it is just a query about his problem and what can be done. So with that I will tell him what to do.

If your windows is a legal one and you have everything to prove it is all you have to do is call Microsoft number that is given in the authentication phase and get it re-authenticated. It is free call and will not cost you anything.

I know I am not a moderator or anything like that but a simple question is not illegal. If it is I am in the wrong country.

Have a good day.

If there is anything I have done that is wrong I am sure I will be discontinued from this forum.

cya l8r

ThorXP

#6 C J.

C J.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

Ahh.. Nahh its not pirated. I've always been above board like this. I did clone my drive to do the replacememt however, but you'd think before I went to Windows Update, I'd of been nailed first. I can't remember the link at Microsoft IT. There was one example where a person has a base machine, and has replaced the Audio card, Video card, and hard drive, but he wouldn't have to re-activate because motherboard and processor were the same. I'd seen other people mentioning it before on other boards, and I'd laugh because I'd swapped out drives quite a few times before, and never had to re-activate. Almost makes me leary to change my sound card now. lol

Edited by Scarlett, 24 May 2006 - 10:30 PM.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:01 PM

But all you have to do here is call up and re-activate and you are all right. The reason this happened was that you changed hard drive and other things and that was too much for it to handle. No problem and nothing illegal it has happened to me once and it will happen again but jsut call and it will be fixed.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:20 AM

You changed two of the devices used by MS to ascertain if reactivation is necessary - the hard drive and the network adapter.

Just use the phone number, explain what you did, and reactivate.

When the current hardware hash is compared to the original hardware hash, there must be 7 or more matching points for the two hardware hashes to be considered in tolerance. If the network card is the same, then only 4 additional characteristics must match (because the network card is worth 3, for a total of 7). If the network card is not the same, then a total of 7 characteristics other than the network card must be the same. If the device is a laptop (specifically a dockable device), additional tolerance is allotted and there need be only 4 or more matching points. Therefore, if the device is dockable and the network card is the same, only one other characteristic must be the same for a total vote of 4. If the device is dockable and the network card is not the same, then a total of 4 characteristics other than the network card must be the same.
Are the changes cumulative? In other words, if I change one component today and one tomorrow, is that two component changes?

The changes are cumulative; however, if a user is asked to reactivate, the hardware profile is reset to that new configuration.
What are the 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash?

The 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash are: Display Adapter, SCSI Adapter, IDE Adapter, Network Adapter MAC Address, RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc), Processor Type, Processor Serial Number, Hard Drive Device, Hard Drive Volume Serial Number, CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM.
Does product activation deter hard disk cloning by comparing these hard disk hashes?

One of the forms of piracy that Product Activation guards against is hard disk cloning. Not all forms of hard disk cloning are illegal. However, by comparing the hardware hash originally activated to the current hardware hash, hard disk cloning can be deterred by requiring re-activation if the hardware hashes are substantially different.
If I reformat my hard disk, is reactivation required?

If the hard disk is reformatted and the software is reinstalled, reactivation will be required. The same grace periods for activation apply in this situation. Reactivation on the same PC can be completed as many times as required. The activation can be completed via telephone or Internet.
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users