Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying my laptop!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 GamerNathan

GamerNathan

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Hi,
My first post here, i would like some advice and names of some laptops!
I have a few specs which i would like to have...
Minimum 8 gb ram (16gb if it fits the price range)
I would like to game quite a bit on it yet not make it slow and laggy....
I would also like to do a bit of aftereffects on it...
As well as normal browsing , presentations and a bit of storage...
It would mostly be at home so bulkiness is not a very big factor but it would be nice to keep it low
My budget is roughly 1250 dollars which i know is tight but i could go up to probabaly 1400.
If you could recommend a cooling pad to go along with it, that would be great! But the laptop would come with cooling solutions but i would just like to be sure!
Screen size fairly big... 15-18"
It should have hdmi, vga is preferred but leave it out if it doesnt fit!
Thats about it for now! Please help me choose a good laptop! Im not a very techie guy but i love technology! Unfortunately im only 14 and dont have my own money.... Hence the tight budget... But i would like a laptop black or red in color or both and it should last for quite some time!!
Hope i am not too strict on my criteria and i wish to get good results!
Thank you
Nathan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

So before you catch all sorts of flack for trying to find a laptop on which you can game, I would HIGHLY recommend looking at some of the MSI gaming laptops, there are quite a few for around your price range (purchased my own last year for about $1300 and it is awesome!)

Check out this one here, i7 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD HDMI and VGA output.
 there are others for more or less than that with various options and things, check them out!

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

Also look into Alienware a true gaming laptop by Dell they will do all you wish with great support.

http://www.alienware.com/landings/laptops.aspx

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 GamerNathan

GamerNathan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:48 AM

So before you catch all sorts of flack for trying to find a laptop on which you can game, I would HIGHLY recommend looking at some of the MSI gaming laptops, there are quite a few for around your price range (purchased my own last year for about $1300 and it is awesome!)

Check out this one here, i7 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD HDMI and VGA output.
 there are others for more or less than that with various options and things, check them out!

I appreciate the help but i wanted it with 16 gb, that preferred for me,

#5 GamerNathan

GamerNathan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:49 AM

Also look into Alienware a true gaming laptop by Dell they will do all you wish with great support.

http://www.alienware.com/landings/laptops.aspx

Thank you for your help but alienware is just too pricy for me! I dont have money of my own to buy...
Is there anything in the asus line?

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:54 AM

I appreciate the help but i wanted it with 16 gb, that preferred for me,

It is not that hard to upgrade the ram.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:03 AM

Hi, 8GB of ram should be more then enough for gaming purposes as most games do not fully use the 16GB of ram. The MSI laptop Green suggested fits your budget as other advertised 'gaming laptops' are a lot more expensive like Alienware. If your located in the U.S, on Newegg the Asus G750 has a better and new graphics card while having 12GB of ram and 17.3inch screen.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 GamerNathan

GamerNathan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hi, 8GB of ram should be more then enough for gaming purposes as most games do not fully use the 16GB of ram. The MSI laptop Green suggested fits your budget as other advertised 'gaming laptops' are a lot more expensive like Alienware. If your located in the U.S, on Newegg the Asus G750 has a better and new graphics card while having 12GB of ram and 17.3inch screen.

Hi! I really liked the asus but i forgot to mention that i like colors and backlit color changing keyboards is a plus! Alienware offers that but its like thrice the price

#9 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hi! I really liked the asus but i forgot to mention that i like colors and backlit color changing keyboards is a plus! Alienware offers that but its like thrice the price

You're only 14 so I guess you haven't learned that you can't have it all. Leave the stupid gimmicks out of it. Backlit keyboards and their control software are just another piece of bloatware on your laptop. Buy the MSI that was initially recommended or the ASUS that was recommended a few posts later. I personally don't like Alienware. If I were going to buy a gaming laptop I would buy an ASUS. Having said that, you do realize that for 1400 you can buy a freaking amazing desktop with way better gaming performance than any laptop.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

Hmmm, upon looking further on Newegg, i found a MSI GE70 Apache Pro that has a backlit keyboard that is capable of changing colours and it is essentially the same specifications as the Asus with a small price increase.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

You're only 14 so I guess you haven't learned that you can't have it all

I am 50 still to learn that bit lol.

i like colors and backlit color changing keyboards is a plus!

Alienware offers that but its like thrice the price

I dont have money of my own to buy..

If that is what you want,  Save a few extra $$ add it to the 1400  and Go for it I say, I am the same I know what I want and dont settle on less.

you do realize that for 1400 you can buy a freaking amazing desktop with way better gaming performance than any laptop.

I agree.

You know what kids today are like mobility is everything.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

Kids these days need to calm the hell down.

Explain that to my 15 year old bundle of joy I call my daughter.

Everytime I try that she points at the scars on my arm and legs that I got at 15 after I just went out and got a motorbike against all advice and crashed it 4 days latter and ending up in hospital for 3 months with pins in my arm and leg. Then she points out and rightly so that 8 months after that accident I got another motorbike and still own 1 to this day.

We are all young we all learn from our mistakes ( mostly) At least it wont kill him.

Maybe they need to resort to some marijuana and alcohol to keep them a little more grounded.

Not that bit.

The first wise thing the Op did was to come here and ask for advice.  Good move.

The second thing the Op can do is listen to that advice. And follow thru with it.

Or the Op can go " Its all about what I want regardless".

If only I had listend.  Bugger I sound like my father now. No wonder my daughter rolls her eyes shakes her head and walks away saying what ever dad. Reminds me of somebody I know.

Edited by NickAu1, 25 May 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#13 GamerNathan

GamerNathan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:40 AM

You're only 14 so I guess you haven't learned that you can't have it all. Leave the stupid gimmicks out of it. Backlit keyboards and their control software are just another piece of bloatware on your laptop. Buy the MSI that was initially recommended or the ASUS that was recommended a few posts later. I personally don't like Alienware. If I were going to buy a gaming laptop I would buy an ASUS. Having said that, you do realize that for 1400 you can buy a freaking amazing desktop with way better gaming performance than any laptop.

Hi! I agree with you on the alienware part, its too much money! And also for 1400 i know that i get a desktop with better performance! But i would like to have games on the go! Because for three to four months a year i am out of the house and with a desktop.... Eh its not something you can take on vacation.. I might go for the asus g750 as it meets my price range and suits most of my needs.... Thanks anyways!!

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:28 AM

I might go for the asus g750 as it meets my price range and suits most of my needs

Did you have a look at the MSI laptop i linked in the previous post which has backlit keyboard and capable of changing colours?

Edited by killerx525, 25 May 2014 - 06:28 AM.

>Michael 

#15 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hi! I agree with you on the alienware part, its too much money! And also for 1400 i know that i get a desktop with better performance! But i would like to have games on the go! Because for three to four months a year i am out of the house and with a desktop.... Eh its not something you can take on vacation.. I might go for the asus g750 as it meets my price range and suits most of my needs.... Thanks anyways!!

Have you considered the fiesability of a micro tower such as an EVGA Hadron and just buying a monitor for your vacation house?

Spend $1200 on the ITX system and $200 on the monitor. 

Edited by Mistersprinkles, 25 May 2014 - 03:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users