Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Think Pads Good?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 barns1

barns1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:18 PM

Thinking about buying a IBM T42 Think Pad Notebook. Pentium M Centrino 1.8Ghz, 512mb memory, 60gb hardrive. Are they reliable and are there any pros and cons? Price is $975 new.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:43 AM

I have a friend that has one, and seems to be happy with it. You might try googling it and read a few reviews, bear in mind that you will find people who will rave about it, and those that have had a bad experience will flame it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:57 AM

Hi barns1.
I love IBM's (Lenova), wouldn't buy anything else. :thumbsup:
The on-line technical support is very good and service manuals are readily available.
Of course, you do know you would be joining "the cult"? :flowers:

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:38 AM

Aside from the normal complaints from people, I've yet to hear anything bad about IBM. Well, aside from what HitSquad just said about joining a cult if you get an IBM....LOL :thumbsup:

Same would go for Acer. HERE'S a link for an Acer laptop that seems to be nearly identical to the IBM that you're looking at (as far as the specs that you listed), it's just not an IBM. IMHO, I don't like to pay for a name brand. Usually, it's just more money I spend when I could've got the same performance out of a cheaper *cough* I mean, more cost effective brand name. Like buying a Mercury instead of a Ford. Mercs cost more money, but pop the hood and the engine says ford. Could've saved money buying a cheaper car that did the same thing with the same parts (ok, so laptops use different parts than cars....I'm sure you get the idea).

Just my two cents worth. The acer is $499 after a $50 mail in rebate. That's roughly $475 cheaper than the IBM. You could do a lot with the money that you'd save.

Whatever your choice, I'm sure that you'll be happy!

Edited by stevealmighty, 25 May 2006 - 06:38 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:27 AM

Mercs cost more money, but pop the hood and the engine says ford

Must be why I drive a Ford. :thumbsup:
Those two systems are completely different "under the hood" though Steve.
Naturally you're going to pay more for an Intel vs. AMD.
The big thing with me is IBM supplies on-line maintanace manuals that thier tech's use.
Complete step by steps with pics on how to completely dis-assemble them and replace anything in it.
They also supply on-line parts catalogs as well. Dell is really the only other popular consumer notebook that comes close in that department. Of course, if you're not inclined to take one apart or repair your own, I suppose it wouldn't matter then. :flowers:

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

Very good points HitSquad! If someone is comfortable taking apart a laptop, then I'd agree that it's worth the extra money. If not, then save the cash, and if/when one dies, you can buy another one with the money that's been saved :thumbsup:

I missed the Intel/AMD. :flowers: Guess I should've paid more attention, instead I just looked at the speed of the processor. :trumpet: .

On a side note (not trying to hijack this thread!): Do they still have the manuals for their older models? I was given (given, as in free!) an older IBM laptop with some accessories (docking station and something that looks like an add on battery pack). It starts up, but won't run. I almost think that the hard drive is either dead or missing. The only think I know about it is that it's got a 500 mhz processor, as that's all I can tell from when it starts up.

I'm going to make a seperate post about it in the next week or so (busy taking siding off my house right now, and have a hectic weekend, then putting siding on next week), but I might be able to get a jump if I can find an online manual for it.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:18 PM

Some people have complained about the Acer's short battery life and the slow hard drive. I haven't delved into the Lenovo's specs or user reports, but I suspect the Thinkpad is probably superior to this model Acer. A truly comparable Acer model would be somewhat more expensive than the model given.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users