Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bert1

Bert1

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

This is the first time I've done a disc image and I did it on a new external hard drive but can't figure out how to get the OS image back onto my PC when I will need to do it. I know it must be a very simple process but I can't figure out how it's done. Don't need to do it right now but would like to know a step by step procedure now as to how it's done so when I do need to I will be able to do it.  I can't get it onto a disc as my PC has an ROM drive and not the CD/DVDRW drive in it. I am using Windows 7. All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Bert1, 23 May 2014 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

Since you didn't specify the software you used, I'll make it general, and presume that when you say "ROM drive", you're referring to a flash (USB) drive.

1.  In your imaging software, there should be an option to create a restore CD/DVD, or restore USB drive.

2.  Start the imaging software, and create the restore USB drive.  This USB drive, for most imaging software will be wiped (erased), and should only be used for that purpose.

3.  Reboot your computer, telling it to reboot from the USB drive.

4.  Find the image you created, and restore it.  Remember, you'll loose everything on the C drive on the restore, so make sure you have everything backed up.

5.  Most imaging software will allow you to selectively restore files (like getting them out of a ZIP file), and this can be done from within Windows.

Hope this helped.

Best of luck.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

The documentation for the program used to create any disk image or clone...should cover the procedures for restoring, installing, or extracting files from the image.

Louis

#4 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

Since you didn't specify the software you used, I'll make it general, and presume that when you say "ROM drive", you're referring to a flash (USB) drive.

1.  In your imaging software, there should be an option to create a restore CD/DVD, or restore USB drive.

2.  Start the imaging software, and create the restore USB drive.  This USB drive, for most imaging software will be wiped (erased), and should only be used for that purpose.

3.  Reboot your computer, telling it to reboot from the USB drive.

4.  Find the image you created, and restore it.  Remember, you'll loose everything on the C drive on the restore, so make sure you have everything backed up.

5.  Most imaging software will allow you to selectively restore files (like getting them out of a ZIP file), and this can be done from within Windows.

Hope this helped.

Best of luck.

Thanks Scotty and Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users