Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Raymoondo

Raymoondo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

Hi, I have a Hextech 16GB USB that I bought less than one year ago. While trying to use it today, I noticed that several of my files were missing and replaced with other folders. These folders can be seen below (the ones with the strange symbols).

x4gr9e.jpg

I have some very important files that are missing. Can anybody tell me how to recover them?

Edited by Raymoondo, 23 May 2014 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

Welcome,

Some questions before possible suggestions. Have you run any anti virus / malware scans today? Are your OS and security programs up to date? Have you noticed any other 'problems' with the system?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Raymoondo

Raymoondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

I haven't used it for the past week. I just use it for school work (ie. Word documents). Haven't run any external programs on it.

Edit: My computer is also fine, no viruses. It may be because I don't safely eject the USB.

Edited by Raymoondo, 23 May 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

Firstly, do not write anything to the USB drive.

Most of the data on drive looks corrupted. You can try recovering the files using freeware or paid software.

The first would be Recuva. It is freeware. Download and install. You may have to do a DeepScan to find your files. If you can recover them, make sure you write the files back to your computer and not the USB flash drive or your data will be lost forever.

Second freeware is PhotoRec. It is a little more difficult to work with. Download the Windows version. It is part of TestDisk. The naming convention for your hard drive and USB is different so make absolutely sure you are recovering files from the USB back to your computer. This does a good job of recovering files but any files recovered have generic file names with the correct extension, so you would have to open them to see what they are and then rename the file. As it does it's scan. Make sure you select Whole and not the Unallocated option. PhotoRec recovers data in real time back to your computer. You can view the files it recovers during the scan. Here is a list of files PhotoRec can recover.

Here is a youtube video explaining the process. The title is Testdisk but the video uses PhotoRec to recover your files.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWbSM-630E

Third is paid software. Active File Recovery. With a Discount code it is $35. You may have to do the Super Scan to recover the files. You can run the software in Demo mode to see if it can detect your files and if it can you can purchase the license.

Once the files are recovered, you can try using Chkdsk to see it will bring the drive back but I would try recovering the files first before doing the Chkdsk. And lastly, always safely eject your removable drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users