Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mailwasher

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

I have an older version of Mailwasher, which I think is great.  I want to upgrade to the newer version, but only use the freeware version.

The freeware version has limitations that I'm familiar with, and can "live with".  The freeware version runs in the "pro mode" for a time (30 days I believe), then reverts back to the limited, freeware version.

Here's my question.  Does anyone know how to force the program to run in the limited, freeware mode from the start?  I don't want to get use to the "pro" mode, then have it go to the limited version.  I'd rather just have it in the limited mode from day one of the install.  I've been researching it, and so far I haven't found an answer.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

I have an idea that might work.

• Put your system clock back 31 days, restart.
  • install your software, run it, restart.
  • set your clock correctly, restart.

In a perfect world it would then recognize the trial period having expired. This may not work as there may be a registry value that acts a system counter.

But then again it very well may...

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

I've decided to stay with the version I have, and in the mean time, write my own.  I suspect it may take 30-60 days, because I'm not in any rush to write it.  My plans are to make the initial program able to access one account, with specific functionality (filters, white list, blacklists), then increase it to multiple e-mail ability, and other functionality.  My PLANS are to release it as 100% FREEWARE with no crippling.

1.  The minimum OS will be Windows 7, SP1.  Windows XP is past it's end of life, so I'll prevent it from running on that OS and before.

2.  I might consider letting it run on Windows Vista, but I won't be able to test it, because I don't have Windows Vista.  Thus there will be no support for Windows Vista.

3.  The latest figures I've seen is that Windows Vista "market share" is less than 3%, so that will affect my decision in the end on allowing Windows Vista.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

Vista is the worst OS I have ever used in my life. So completely and terribly flawed. It is actually Win7 beta, just like Win8 is actually Win9 beta. (I know we haven't seen Win9 yet, but mark my words.)  They are just letting us pay for their beta versions and do the testing for free... I'm not sure who is nicer. Micro$oft letting us test their software for just a measly 2 or 3 hundred dollars a seat, or the general public for lubing up and using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users