Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD excessive storage use.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ZashieYo

ZashieYo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

Okay i have this problem, recently i bought a crucial SSD and it's all fine and dandy but after installing firefox and steam on it i found it's taken up about 19GB.

wtf is wrong O-o i know for a fact firefox and Steam do not take up that much, with no games installed, it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

You can use a tool to take a more definitive look at the contents of the drive.

WinDirStat

Louis

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

is this your primary hard drive?

If so you can expect Windows to take up around 15 initially, and then as updates and everything come along you're looking at around 30GB

#4 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

Have you atleast tried to see what's occupying that extra space on the hard drive by hand?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#5 ZashieYo

ZashieYo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

I fixed it up guys, i fixed up the massive pagefile and i removed the hibernation thing since i have 32gb ram it was taking up a lot of storage.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

You should not be running a page fire with an SSD it increases wear and is totally unneeded.

You need to go over the proper setup for an SSD, yours it not set up correctly.  You speed will increase and your wear level will drop like a stone compared to where you are now, do not use sleep or hibernation you have no moving parts just screen saver and monitor shut down.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ptoper+ssd+hard+rive+setup&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Edited by OldPhil, 27 May 2014 - 11:53 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

Interesting Article

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users