Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Design and management USB Failure Incomprehensable in 2014

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wzwzy

Wzwzy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

Please advise me of a program or app that will isolate and lock to each device,my USB ports?
Because I find it almost unbeleivable that the design of USB controllers in xp pro incorporates "features" that rearrange allocated ports and drivers to all connected devices each and everytime,when 1 device is plugged or unplugged.
For example,my problem is I have 3-5various devices and camera devices and 1 internet connection attached to my pc via USB and if I have to or happen to plug or unplug 1 device the controllers rearrange all the allocated ports of the existing devices causing the other cameras and the internet connection to disconnect.
Surely there is a usb management program that can manage to prevent the disconnection of existing connected devices when 1 is plugged or unplugged into a usb ,how can so many people put up with that?
Id like to beable to build one myself,obviously,but if someone already has Id be very grateful to learn of it.Ive tried usbview but it doestnt prevent the automatic reallocation that causes the disconnections and being able to easily toggle power to each usb port/device would be another setting that id find unbeleivable to have been overlooked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

FWIW: If I'm understanding you correctly, the problem must be something other than Windows because that does not happen here ... on any of my Windows machines.

Does the same thing happen in "Safe mode with Networking"?

Edited by SpywareDoctor, 24 May 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#3 Wzwzy

Wzwzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Thankyou spyware doctor,
The effects I describe ,are apparrantly how windows allocates its (virtual) usb ports ,sometimes, but not everytime, when I physically disconnect any usb device the connections are broken on some of the other connected usb devices.
I pressume its the allocation and subsequent reallocation of virtual usb ports that occurs when one usb is unplugged or plugged in.
Im not slating windows for it directly but ive found it to happen on my last 3 xp machines.
In usbview its possable to watch it happen.
Only the devices with well designed and rock solid driver configs are unaffected but still occasionally lose connection after another device unplug and Ive noticed I get a good few hours where there is no problem then batches of repeated disconnections after a physical unplug of various usb devices.
Ive been looking for a 'plug and play' type of program to manage a full range of usb devices especially to prevent the frequent disconnections that occur pressumably from the controller or whatever controls the usb virtual ports.

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

If the same thing happens on various XP machines with the same USB devices, it may well be one of the devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users