Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What I don't like about Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

Here are some annoyances I have with Windows 8, and a work around for them.

1.  When installing Windows 8.1 from a boxed copy, Microsoft attempts to make you create a Microsoft Account (online account).  To get around this, make sure that you're 100% disconnected from the Internet (Wi-Fi and cabled).  Once you're up and going, then enable the Wi-Fi and/or cable.  This forces Windows install to create a local account.  There are one or two different additional methods to get around Microsoft's attempts to make you create a Microsoft Account at install, but I've found this is the easiest, to me at least.

2.  No actual start menu (the right click, power user's menu doesn't count as a start menu [note 1]).  Yes, there is a "Start Button", but it only returns you to the start screen.  I use Stardock's Start8 program, and it takes me straight to the desktop, and I have a start menu.

3.  Doesn't support ".NET" 1.x.  There is no work around, I had to find a new programming environment.

4.  The "Start Screen".  See #2.

5.  You have to jump through hoops to tell Windows it's OK to update office, when you update windows:
5.1.  Ge to Start screen.
5.2.  Enter "Windows Updates".
5.3.  Select "Windows Update Settings".
5.4.  Choose "How Updates Get Installed".
5.5.  Check "Give me updates for other Microsoft Products When I update Windows".
5.6.  Click Apply.
5.7.  Alt-F4.
5.8.  Run updates

6.  File delete confirmation is turned off.  Right click on recycle bin and turn on delete confirmation.

Right now, I have 125 files with instructions that are unique to Windows 8, for example:

* (win8)_win81_upgrade_notice_disable.txt
* (win8)_win_apps_store_disable.txt
* (win8)_win_charms_bar_disable_charms_bar_and_program_switcher.txt
* (win8)_win_how_to_install_apps_outside_from_windows_8_apps_store.pdf
* (win8)_win_live_tiles_disable_enable_live_tiles.txt
* (win8)_win_reset_windows_update_components.txt

Overall, Windows 8 is just fine, and the start menu programs bring back the functionality that most long term Windows users like.

Using a start menu program, users can avoid the Windows 8 start screen, and other things most of the time, which will lessen the wasp stings in using Windows 8.

The biggest complaint I've heard lately is the rapid update schedule M$ is doing.  Specifically, for Update 1, users had until 2014_05_13 to install it, or not get any more security updates, but M$ slide that.

For me, that's not an issue.  I have always kept my system up to date with the current service packs, security updates, etc.  Yes, like others, I had issues with Update 1, but I figured out how to work around it, and get it to install.

But, there are still issues.  Update 1 has been changed AT LEAST 4 times since it's initial release.  Specifically:

* 2014_04_17
* 2014_05_05
* 2014_05_13
* 2014_05_15

Notes:
1.  On another board, a user tried to call the right click menu the "start menu".  He finally conceded he was wrong.  He said in part, "OK, not technically the "same" as the start menu..."  There's no "technically" about it, it's not the start menu

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 23 May 2014 - 08:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steviejeep

Steviejeep

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

There's always Linux. I just keep a windows VM on my Linux desktop for compatibility purposes. Once you go open-source, you never go back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users