Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i want to change the refresh rate in a game

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shinmarwan

shinmarwan

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

my monitor is 60 Hz 

and in games if i play ar 60 Hz it cause screen tearing

how can i force a game to run above 60 Hz ??

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 23 May 2014 - 06:15 PM.
Moved to Computer Gaming

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:02 AM

You can't make your monitor use a higher frequency than it's factory standard, and screen tearing should not be an issue if you activate Vsync.

Vsync basically synchronises your monitor and your videocard wich means tearing won't happen anymore, altough it can introduce some other problems if you can't hit the desired 60 frames per second. 

While in some ocassions your videocard would be able to produce more than 60 frames per second your monitor wouldn't be able to show them(Because it runs at 60Hz), hence you should use Vsync, since not only it prevents tearing but it also keeps your videocard from offputting 200 Frames per second when your screen can only display 60.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#3 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

You can't make your monitor use a higher frequency than it's factory standard, and screen tearing should not be an issue if you activate Vsync.

Vsync basically synchronises your monitor and your videocard wich means tearing won't happen anymore, altough it can introduce some other problems if you can't hit the desired 60 frames per second. 

While in some ocassions your videocard would be able to produce more than 60 frames per second your monitor wouldn't be able to show them(Because it runs at 60Hz), hence you should use Vsync, since not only it prevents tearing but it also keeps your videocard from offputting 200 Frames per second when your screen can only display 60.

i know Vsync but the problem is that Vsync cause lag in games

in some games it allow me to play at 75 refresh rate which solve the problem

but this is not exist in all games

Edited by shinmarwan, 25 May 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#4 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Do you by any chance know the refresh rate of your monitor? there might be 75Hz ones, and some monitors display at different rates depending on the resolution, plus 75Hz isn't that common, maybe the game just doesn't support it

And the lag induced by Vsync is barelly noticeable unless you are a pro gamer or you have a really low framerate (In wich case tearing wouldn't be an issue)

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#5 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

mu monitor is 60 hz

however my vga said the max refresh rate is 75 hz

i am a gamer with low end pc

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

what kind of video card is it? I know if its an AMD card, you should be able to go into the catalyst control center and manually change the frequency of the video  card to match the monitor.  If the monitor is 60 hz then that video card should also be at 60 hz. Nvidia also should have a option to change the frequency of the card manually.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

I still don't see why increasing the display rate to 75Hz would remove tearing, afaik tearing occurs mostly when your video card fails to render the frames on time and sends them half done, increasing the amount of frames per second your monitor is showing would simply increase the demand wouldn't it?

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

your correct dat. The display rate of the monitor A: needs to be within its design limits and B: match what the video card puts out. If you want the tearing to go away the op will have to play with his settings-my best guess is he has the resolution set to high for the monitor. 

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 RochellGalindo

RochellGalindo

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

Game is always changing desktop refresh rate customer service, many times i tried to change the refresh rate by changing the display setting file and put it to 60 but that doesn't appear in game. However there is no way to refresh the rate in a game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users