Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Rebooting during Boot-up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

I could use some help...WindowsXP starts to load, then a quick Windows splash screen and it reboots. Using XP home edition, 32-bit, and I believe it's SP2 or 3.

It was infected with CryptoDefense...luckily, I found the section here on the virus and had the version that left the key on my computer, so I downloaded the decryption app from here and ran it on my machine. It took almost three weeks of running constantly before it finished (ran it in Safe Mode). Updated MalwareBytes, ran it and it cleaned up the machine. Installed my version of Kaspersky AV, ran it...it needed to do a "special" type of disinfecting...it deleted a few things, rebooted, and then continued...it was during the evening and showed that it would take 7 hours so I let it run all night. In the morning, I thought since it had been running for three weeks, I'd give it a break and shut it down for the day.

After getting home from work, I wanted to do a backup and that's when the problem started. It went to the "Windows was not shut down properly" screen.

Since then I've tried all of the options on this screen...also used the F8 key for the other boot-up options and they all behave the same...system reboots after a quick Windows splash screen.

I've tried disconnecting everything to no avail.

I pulled the HD, stuck it in an external drive device (USB) and connected it to my laptop...I could get to all the files and performed a backup with this setup. Ran CHKDSK but it found no errors.

I would still like to get it working as there are a lot of applications on it that I'd like to keep...I didn't bother keeping all of the original disks (we moved and I got rid of a lot!) since they wouldn't run on Windows7 (my laptop) and I wasn't going to spend the money on upgrades.

I didn't get rid of the WindowsXP disk, but since we've moved, I haven't been able to locate it...I know I should try a "repair" and I will if I can find it...

So here's what I know:

While trying Safe Mode, the last file shown is klbg.sys...it seems this is a Kaspersky file. I found somewhere that stated that the window shows the last file loaded successfully, so I don't know what it's trying to load next...I would guess another Kaspersky file.

Since the last change I made was to install Kaspersky, I'm afraid something went wrong in this area.

Using my laptop and the external drive device, is it possible to remove the Kaspersky application?

Thanks,

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:51 AM

Hello,

Press F8 during boot and select "Disable Automatic Restart at System Failure". Does the Blue Screen throw a stop error and what file is shown?

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 May 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#3 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the quick response...

I tried this at one time, but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. I'll do it again after I get home from work and post it tonight...

Again, thanks!

#4 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

It doesn't name any files...only the following:

Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7BA2524, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Any ideas???

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

This is usually a hard drive controller driver issue. Go into BIOS and look for a setting to change from AHCI (SATA)  to IDE mode. Save BIOS settings and reboot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 May 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#6 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

Thanks...I'll give it a shot tonight...

#7 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:20 AM

Ok, so, that didn't work out well. It shows the drive as SATA, but it doesn't give me the option to change it to IDE.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

See number 7 in this link. Your second Hexidecimal is 0xC00000034 which is a bad or corrupted driver for the Hard drive controller. The BIOS setting might be in Advanced and have AHCI listed. What is the make and model of the computer? If custom built, the make and model of the motherboard.

#9 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Thanks again for the information...it's a Gateway from either Circuit City or Best Buy (can't remember at the moment as we've had it quite a while).

I looked at the link above...it suggested updating the driver. I'm not sure how to do that if Windows won't load...

I'll look again at the BIOS tonight...I'll also try to get the MFG and version, and possible some snapshots so you can see what I'm looking at (if that helps at all).

Thanks,

Matt

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

Do you have an XP install disk? Do you have System Restore Enabled on the computer? AHCI and IDE modes are usually in the advanced section of the BIOS. Yes, you would not be able to update the drive if Windows does not boot. Are there files on the computer you need access to?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users