Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 computer with no boot device available

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Uigi

Uigi

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:58 AM

My parents computer was working until recently, but today they complained to me about it going very slow and restarting on its own.  I took it out of standby, and it seemed to be running very slow as they said, and then it switched to a screen that said "resuming windows" followed by a black screen with a flashing underscore.  After a little while it goes back to "resuming windows" and then repeats.  I shut it off with the power button and powered it on again.  It failed to boot, saying that no boot filename was received.  Then "Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM." and then "No boot device available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility".

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?  The computer is refurbished and was purchased a couple months ago.  Again, it has been working up until this point.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 installer

installer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

Is all you see is the boot option?  Does it change after some time?

If not it may be bad news.

You may need to load a fresh windows on to it!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

I'm betting this is a Acer computer?

Enter the BIOS and navigate to the Boot Menu and change the settings from PXE Boot to IDE0.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Steviejeep

Steviejeep

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

Might be a failed hard drive. Boot into the bios and navigate to the boot options. If the hard drive is not listed there, then the machine doesn't see it. Were there any clicking sounds or unusual noises before the failure? Also was anyone recently inside the case for any reason? Was the computer recently moved, bumped or dropped? I'm assuming this is a desktop? If its a laptop the hard drive might have worked itself loose, used to happen to one of my unibody macbooks on a regular basis. Let us know what kind of system you are working on and we can narrow down the problem for you. I usually find that when a system has been working and then the boot device suddenly can't be detected, its a hardware issue. Hope this help, and again more info will help us help you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

OEM systems often revert to network boot effort when CMOS battery is failing.  The PXE error is the key indicator, IMO.

Louis

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

How to change boot order in bios.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

Why don't we wait until we know the make and model of this computer, then we can find specific instructions for changing the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Uigi

Uigi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Today my parents booted it up and it started fine.  It was running slow, but that was a separate issue that has since been resolved.  It seems to be running fine now, but I'm not sure why it is now and why it wasn't last night.  I'll return here if we run into the same problem again.

FYI in the meantime:  The computer is a Dell desktop.  As far as I know it's been sitting in the same place for a while, hasn't been bumped and no one has been inside the case.  No unusual sounds that I heard.

Is there a way I can check the CMOS battery?  That sounds like something that I should do regardless of whether or not it's currently acting up, especially because the computer is refurbished.

I actually did get into the boot priority menu before posting.  A USB or CD drive was listed before the hard drive, but I didn't suspect that was a problem, so I didn't mention it.  I could always go back there and see what it says specifically if that's what I ought to do.  Also, now that I'm not home I can't check the model, but will do when I get back.

#9 Steviejeep

Steviejeep

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Perhaps on of the other guys on here knows how to test for a bad battery, but I don't. Changing it is easy enough if you do find out it is the problem. It looks like a watch battery attached to the motherboard. Just pull it out and replace it with the same one. Just make sure the computer is unplugged and that you are grounded before you go monkeying around in the case. Here is a YouTube tutorial:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao866I9XpTo

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Well...since a CMOS battery for a desktop costs less than $4-5...and are available at just about any place selling electronic/watch batteries...I would not suggest a check, but a replacement.  I'd rather take it out of the realm of possibilities for the money involved.

The fact that you've had problems with your CMOS settings...well, I consider that enough of an indicator to replace the CR2032 battery.

Louis

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

A ten volt electrostatic discharge can kill integrated circuits, for this reason you need to discharge any static electricity in your body by touching something metal, preferably grounded.  The metal case of the desktop works well for this purpose.

The battery is about the same diameter as a U.S. quarter and is silver in color.  It will be readily visible when you get to the motherboard.

Be careful removing it as some motherboards have clips which are easily broken.

You need to observe the battery's polarity(+ or - facing upward) when it is removed, the polarity must be the same when the new battery is installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users