Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apps crashing after removing Search Safer Inc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Doozy

Doozy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

I got the Search Safer Inc malware after my professor for my masters course instructed us to view a video at a sketchy website.  So I did an online search and found your post on removing this (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/531978/serviceexe-by-search-safer-inc-prompt/)

This worked, thankfully, however, ever since then I have noticed a few problems. My Kindle app crashes and reloading it doesn't help.  There's another reading app that crashes and I've also noticed a problem with opening .pfd files in internet explorer.

Any ideas on how I hurt my computer?

Doozy

P.s. I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro

Thanks man.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Welcome,

Malware removal can also damage valid apps. You might try running sfc /scannow as administrator from the command prompt.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Doozy

Doozy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Thank you for the tip.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), the scan didn't find anything.  It just reported "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Any other advice on how to fix what I messed up or get my apps working again?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hi,

Have you run any of the free malware scanners? Malware Bytes Anti Malware and Super AntiSpyWare are two I use. What about any security software scans?

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 Doozy

Doozy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

I ran all the software discussed in that post I referenced in my original post.  I feel pretty good that I got rid of everything.  The problem, I think is that there may have been something in those steps that were a bit too intrusive.

I still have Malware Bytes on my tablet and have it running.  Everything looks good on that end.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Hi,

It's very possible that the infection did corrupt things. It is also possible that the cleaning process could have done the same. I think the only solution is to do a control panel uninstall, reboot and reinstall every thing that isn't working. Do them one at a time so that they don't contaminate each other. When you're all done, run an anti virus scan and a malware scan to confirm that all is well.

Keep us posted

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users