Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looks like a nice site :)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BillModlin

BillModlin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hi.  I used to be a programmer.   I retired over 20 years ago, but recently had an impulse to try my hand at coding again.

The most fun I ever had was working with assembler in a DOS environment, so it's probably not surprising that I am more comfortable at the command line than using a graphical UI for many things.  It  seems natural to have a CMD window up most of the time.

One of the first problems I hit was attempting to look at some files from a UNIX system, using Notepad.

(I know.  Use a real editor, right?  But Notepad was there....)

I tried to fix them with a Windows port of SED, but for some reason it didn't want to change them.  Maybe I picked a bad implementation of SED, I don't know. 

So my first project was a FixLines utility, that accepts CRLF, LF, or CR as line terminators and changes them to whichever version you want.   It also (optionally) trims whitespace from the ends of lines, which solves a problem I was having with some configuration files for a game...

I found myself missing the function of an old directory-changing utility, G.COM, from my DOS days.   It was 16-bit code that no longer works, and anyway it did not understand long file names, so I needed a new version and I wrote one.

G (for "Go to directory") lets me be lazy about typing directory names.   It will search for a heavily abbreviated path, or for a directory containing a particular file, or whatever. 

G ut gets me to my f:\utility subdirectory.   G .cmis gets me to c:\codeblocks\mingw\include\sys.   And G * desk=gina gets me to the one of many "desktop" subdirectories on my system that happens to contain a shortcut to a program called "Gina".

That G function worked out so nicely that I thought perhaps someone else might also like to use it.  So I put it on Sourceforge, under a project named "chdirassist".   

There seem to be several alternatives to my FixLines available, so I didn't bother to post that.  But I can't seem to find a good equivalent to G.

Anyway, I'm having fun.  Now to think of some real projects to work on.  Any suggestions? :)

Bill Modlin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Doomap117

Doomap117

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

Welcome and Hello :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic