Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron N 5010 replaced hard drive have no OS disk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mlivesay

mlivesay

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron N 5010.  I had to put in a new hard drive.  I do not have a disk with windows 7 on it.  I have a recovery disk but it does not work.  How do I get back my OS?  Also the windows code on the bottom of the computer has worn off and is not readable.  Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Welcome,

Is your Dell registered with Dell? Have you contacted them to see what help they can provide?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

Do you still have the original hard drive? (or is it completely dead?)

Edited by TsVk!, 23 May 2014 - 12:32 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron N 5010.  I had to put in a new hard drive.  I do not have a disk with windows 7 on it.  I have a recovery disk but it does not work.  How do I get back my OS?  Also the windows code on the bottom of the computer has worn off and is not readable.  Can anyone help me?

You can download a ISO image which you can burn to a disc to create a installation disc for Windows 7 Home Premium.

32-bit version

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58996.iso

64-bit version

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

Your computer should have Windows 7 installed on it.  I was not able to find any confirmation on the version, 32-bit or 64-bit, so you will need to know this in order to download the proper ISO image.

You will need to download the drivers for this computer after installing the operating system, you will need to download these from Dell.

You will need to burn the ISO image to a disc, I have instructions for this, but I will need to know what the operating system is on the computer you will be using to burn the disc.

As for the product key.  Newer Inspirons have a second product key inside the case underneath the battery.  Pull the battery and see if you find it.

I would suggest contacting Dell to see how much they want to provide you with the installation disc and driver disc.  It may well be worth it rather than creating the disc and then having to download and install the drivers.

Edited by dc3, 23 May 2014 - 09:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mlivesay

mlivesay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

My OS is windows home 64 bit. The original drive is dead. I removed the battery and there are no codes on the inside for windows.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

You can contact Dell and provide them with the Service Tag on the bottom of the laptop and an explanation of the problem They are pretty good at providing the install DVD either for free or a nominal fee.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Beat be to it John... I was typing the same thing.

The install DVD they provide will be pre-activated Windows for your specific machine.

#8 mlivesay

mlivesay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

I downloaded windows 7 64 bit  from the link above.  Now I have no wireless internet.  How do I get this back?

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

Hi,

That sounds like a Dell driver issue.

Go to their site -> downloads & drivers -> input your service tag number -> the list of everything you should have will be displayed.

Select only what you need and only the latest versions. That should give you back all of the features that are in your system.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

I downloaded windows 7 64 bit  from the link above.  Now I have no wireless internet.  How do I get this back?

Did you reinstall Windows 7?

If you did you need to download and install the drivers.  You will want to install the chipset driver first, after that the order really doesn't matter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users