Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP Upgrading from XP to 7 - Lost Internet connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jsaklas

jsaklas

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

I followed MS's "Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7" and things are not working well, in fact, pretty poorly.  I used MS's Window Transfer program to transfer to an external hard drive.  After 7 was loaded a copied the copied files back to my HD.

The problem is I don't have any Internet connection.  [ I am posting this topic from my other computer.]  What can I do?

Also, much less important, but something that may have to do with the incomplete loading of 7 or file transfer is that my desktop is not at the resolution I prefer, 1360 to 768, it only allows me 1280 x 720 and 800 x 600.

I'm not a computer whiz so please help and realize I may not always understand your directions 100%, the first time I get them.

js

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

Did you install the network and graphics drivers?

You need to go to the website of your computer manufacturer and find the drivers for your model. You need to be aware you might not find Win7 compatible drivers for your computer since it originally had XP.

If you have a custom built system,  you can go to the website of your motherboard manufacturer to see if you can find them there.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

The problem is I don't have any Internet connection.  [ I am posting this topic from my other computer.]  What can I do?

Once you find the drivers, You can download them to a USB stick and transfer them to the other pc.

And a bit more info about your PC please. If we know what MoBo etc you have it makes it easier to help.

You can go into device manager and see what drivers are missing.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 May 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#4 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the help.  I did find at least some drivers to get me on the internet. 

I will search further for others. It appears that many are outdated.  I will check the MO and see if I can get up-to-date drivers from them.  If not, do you have any suggestions of a source of FREE drivers?

Other problems are arising:

1. Although Thunderbird is still on the machine, it has no knowledge of my or the wife's account, thus all email, address books, etc. have disappeared.

2. I have lost all my bookmarks in FIrefox.

3. (This one is not important but...)  I used to put .bmp files into the old XP  C:\Windows directory and use that to personalize my desktop.  Now the Personalize window does not recognize any of the 50+ .bmp files I have in the new C:\WIndows directory.

Any help would be appreciated.  My fear is that the Window File moving system did not choose to copy these files onto the external HD.  Are they still recoverable?

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

If not, do you have any suggestions of a source of FREE drivers?

Only drivers I recommend come from the website of your computer manufacturer, I also do not recommend the use of those 3rd party Driver Updater programes.

I have never known of a computer manufacturer to charge for drivers.

source of FREE drivers

If they are not from the website of your computer manufacturer, You need to ask yourself.

Where are they from?

Who made this?

What else did they put in it?

Has it been tested on my machine type?

Etc.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 May 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:53 PM

Hello! I agree with Nick about drivers. You could give this a try however. It's freeware. Recuva. Might get some things back. Book marks are probably history.

I have never used Recuva, but you might give it a try!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=Recuva

Good morning Queen-Evie

Edited by donetao, 22 May 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

Did you use a Windows 7 disk when you did the upgrade?

Did you do a clean install-meaning you lost everything on the drive? If this is what you did, there is one thing you can do.

Go to Computer/Local Disk C.

There might be a folder called WINDOWS.OLD.

If there is, your documents, pictures, music, etc will be in that folder. Look in it for the .bmp files. If there you can copy or move them to a new location.

#8 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

OK, I'm back.  First, I found the Device Manager (not as easy in 7 as in XP - thank you MS).  There is no Mother Board Listing, but I assume the "Computer" listing is the one we need.  My machine was a custom, probably put together by some high schooler in his family's garage.  Regardless the Computer listing was:

ACPI x64 - based PC

I used the menu to check for drivers and Windows replied that my drivers are up to date.  As an aside, the DM said my monitor was a Generic PnP Monitor, mine is an ACER 233H, is it "Generic?"  Again using the menu to check for drivers, it says that the driver is up-to-date.

Overall, so far, the computer seems to be working OK, a little slow perhaps, but the BIG PROBLEM is that I lost all bookmarks in FIrefox and all Thunderbird data.  The upgrade instructions said to use Windows Easy Transfer, which I did.  MS claims that it automatically transfers files, settings, etc., I hope so, but I'm not so sure.  Probably it would work with Outlook and IE, but knowing MS, it may zap other email and browsers.

Hoping that they are somewhere, can you tell me what file I need to find to restore my bookmarks in FIrefox and settings/profiles in Thunderbird?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,640 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Here is a link showing where your Firefox bookmarks may be located.

Edit: For Thunderbird data, the Advance selection of the Easy Transfer Wizard should have been selected.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 May 2014 - 04:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users