Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could The Edward Snowden Case Be a Conspiracy?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Could The Edward Snowden Case Be a Conspiracy?

Just like a lot of people believe that the moon landings could be a conspiracy do you think the same could be true of the Edward Snowden case? Upon searching I have come a lot of differing theories about this now and what is actually going on.

I must say that personally it boggles my mind how the NSA - a highly reputable and advance agency to allow such a security breach or even not suspect anything. I do feel at times that something just doesn't add up.

Anyway what's your views?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

I was going to say something, but I changed my mind.

Edited by Enriqe, 26 May 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#3 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

I think the breach did happen and Snowden was able (most likely because he had Admin privileges and access) to grab all the information that has been reported. I believe Glenn Greenwald is a reputable lawyer and reporter, and Greenwald would have certainly verified and re-verified the story and his sources as well as authenticity prior to any reporting and releasing of the information that Snowden gathered and was subsequently reported widely. 

I also speculate that as a result of the breach(es), NSA has implemented numerous changes in their internal processes in order to ensure there are safety nets set up to limit access to information as well as requiring employees to take part in things such as 'Compliance' training.

I am certain employees of NSA are not happy with the changes and anyone trying to limit their capabilities or power (such unhappiness stems from the refrain that all is done the name of protecting us of course). Part of my particular opinion was garnered in another extensive ongoing discussion here that included an assumed NSA employee, but I happen to believe the part about the employee changes internally and their dissatisfaction is also likely true. 

Edited by Stolen, 26 May 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

NSA - a highly reputable and advance agency to allow such a security breach or even not suspect anything.

These things can and do happen all the time . Human nature tends to be somewhat trusting and lazy. If I come thru a security gate everyday with my walkman and headphones on everyday and leave the same way, soon security is going to get fed up with Listening to Lindsay Spears singing opps im a virgin again or some such nonsense, and they will just let you thru without looking at whats on the disk. Oh hang on didnt that happen?

I was a prison officer for a long time and at random we were selected to inspect other prison officers things as they entered and left. Seriously these guys were my Friends, My Work Mates, And Twice My Life Line in an emergency, Do you honnestly think I was looking in their bags real hard?

Edited by NickAu1, 26 May 2014 - 10:40 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

Remember the line Steve Buscemi says in the movie Aramageddon as they are about to launch...

"You know we’re sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn’t it?"

Rockhound

Armageddon – Steve Buscemi

The American way is all our agencies and civilian contractors are the 'Lowest Bidders'.....

The term: You get what you pay for, rings truer now more than ever.

Knowing every NSA/US Government worker was vetted and security clearanced by companies that have quotas and deadlines to meet and are 'the lowest bidders'. Just gives me warm fuzzies all over......

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

While we all know that Edward Snowden didn't follow lawful procedures in what he did & damaged to some degree US relationships with other nations; it's intersting to note that long after the allegations against him arose, he has more on his side than against. Approximately 60% of those on Twitter consider him a Patriot, rather than a Traitor, which was after the recent interview with Brian Williams of NBC.

http://mashable.com/2014/05/29/edward-snowden-patriot/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=rss

Not that we can believe every word that's uttered from his mouth, but some of the things that he has stated has placed US officials in damage control mode. No way could one make all of these things up & no way could he have known all of the things that has been reported, w/out anyone giving authority.

Plus in the interview, it shows that Snowden did work for the US (or an agency of), undercover, under an assumed name(s), something that had never been prior published by US officials. It seems that the US government, embarrassed by his actions, has portrayed Snowden as one of the "little guys", yet the interview suggests otherwise. There's likely a lot more that hasn't been told, as we've only seen edited segments of the interview, nor has US officials came clean about his real status. It seems that everytime something credible does come in, the officials aren't flatly denying any of it. They're currently reviewing data collection/mining policies & making adjustments (or so they say).

While I believe that Edward Snowden did break his promise to the US citizens, only a court of law, if caught (or handed over) can determine guilt or innocence. That's a guarantee to all US citizens & no one should be pre-judged based upon media reports from one side or the other.

However, what he did, like or dislike him personally, was made Americans more aware of our status. That we're not totally free to do as we please, even if we're otherwise not breaking the law, that we can be censored at anytime, our emails, cell phone/landline usage, online usage/postings, with one command, everything except our thoughts can be collected. While much of this was caused by the post 9/11 tragedy, few of us really knew how powerful government is, especially the random collection of data of otherwise law abiding citizens. That, in my opinion, is an unnecessary invasion of our privacy & waste of resources that could be used elsewhere.

Regardless of Edward Snowden's eventual fate, his name is now in US history. Whether or not it's to the good or bad, time will determine.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

I haven't fully decided how to catagorize Snowden. In the corporate world, he'd be a 'whistle blower', fired, and loved by the government for letting us all know how bad the company was. (providing it didn't hurt the government)

But because he has information that is damaging to the government, he's a traitor.(?)

Not sure if he's a traitor or whistle blower. I'm pretty sure that if he had not been labeled a traitor, by our government, he would probably still be in this country and less chance of his 'secrets' getting into foreign 'bad guy' hands. Was it such a smart thing to label him traitor so he had to leave the country? Now he's in Russia, who knows what info they get from him, and allow him to release.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

I haven't decided yet either, one way or the other, nor have I voted on Twitter (I don't do these apps) or other sites.

However, I wouldn't want to live as he does, in hiding, having to watch his back at all times, not knowing whom to trust, not being able to travel freely, he gave up control of his destiny in his actions.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Note to all:

Since this topic is regarding Snowden and his actions and/or judging him a traitor, part of a conspiracy, or a possible victim in the broader conspiracy theory, I will ask that the comments in this topic stay specific to Snowden.

There are also intertwined and very broad Privacy issues that have been impacted by Snowden’s actions, and I will ask that all discussion regarding privacy, security, and such things as NSA, rights, data collection, current events, news, government intrusion, etc. be posted in the separate Privacy topic where there is an extensive ongoing discussion.

The Privacy and Security topic is located here, and I invite you to visit that topic as well as comment.

Many thanks, 

~Stolen

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

While his intentions may have been good, He placed lots of lives at risk, Wars have been started for less.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#11 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Step away from your tv set ..far far away. All media is a lie and everything is a hoax.. There is no right and left.. no repubs and no dems.. just actors reading scripts to fool the masses.. If you can't grasp this..then you are indocrinated and it's your responsibility to deprogram yourself.. and you cannot do this by getting your daily dose of mind-control.

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

Two things in this life are paramount to understanding the  way the system works.  Everyone has an opinion and everyone has a butthole, sometimes it's hard to tell which on is in use.  Number two is to believe NONE of what you HEAR and only HALF of what you SEE.  What was revealed has been ongoing for over two decades and kept secret under the "national security" blanket to cover it up.  What in this world makes anyone think what they say over the phone is private.  Or that it is far easier to collect just the numbers dialed, connected numbers and transfer points to show links between suspect (covered by a warrant) number and web of numbers from the other links.  Nothing illegal there.

#13 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

Lora

That is absolutely ridiculous. Were you making a poor attempt to discuss a conspiracy? Or just causing trouble by being deliberately offensive to others? Your post has nothing to do with this topic either, for that matter.

What exactly would you advise or recommend to people? Do you think it is better for people to completely disconnect from everything and not make any effort to become educated or form opinions? People already exhibit a complete and very frightening amount of apathy as it is today. Let’s not encourage the “I don’t care” attitude by stating “all media is a lie” and if one can’t “grasp this”, then one is “indoctrinated” and in need of deprogramming.

Thank god we can still discuss and debate and read and comment on very valid and interesting issues which are, in fact, covered by the news and TV media as well as written about here and many other places.

Your reply also has nothing to do with Edward Snowden and is borderline paranoid. Oh wait. It may be completely paranoid as well as obtuse.

You are also missing the boat if you think you can get away with coming here to throw insults at others including calling all ‘media’ liars. I can assure you I am most certainly not an actor or reading a script. I also don’t need deprogramming, but I could make a few suggestions in regards to paranoia, if you would like. 

I suppose I should ask where your name came from? Does the 777 have anything to do with ANYthing? Just curious...it just sounds so very familiar

:wizardball:  

#14 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Sure, it could be a Conspiracy, but I highly doubt it.  Who benefited from Snowden's revelations other than the American people now knowing that their every, move and missive is being collected?

Snowden isn't a whistle blower.  In order to qualify as a whistle blower you need to attempt to resolve the issue through your chain of command.

None of the information that I have seen puts any lives at risk.  Has it hurt American company profits, sure thing.  Lives at risk, I don't think so.

I would like to see the US Constitution be followed, even when it is inconvenient.  My safety is not worth giving up my freedom.

#15 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Sorry not replied for a while. However I see some interesting points among some of you. I as of yet am still a little undecided as to what make of this stuff. What I do know is that technology seemed to have boomed during a few decades and that it might be easier to figure out now if something was a conspiracy or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users