Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pcreg service.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joshfreedy

joshfreedy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

So...I download matchware screencorder from softonic. A bunch of PUPs were installed. I manually uninstalled some (linkey, search safer, etc.) and I changed my start page to google in the registry. I noticed a pcreg folder in my Program Files and regedit. So, I posted on the Microsoft forums first and came here to confirm. I ran malwarebytes, and 22 problems were found. All quarantined. I rebooted, and the service.exe came back from the quarantine. I ran another scan and nothing was found. Slightly angered, I ran a custom scan WITH root kit on of the pcreg folder. Service.exe was found as a PUP again, I quarantined it again, rebooted again, and when I checked my program files, pcreg and service.exe, you guessed it, were there. I have no idea what to do from now, and that's why I came here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joshfreedy

joshfreedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

And also, I just checked out farbar removal scan tool. This seems like it will work, but is there ANYTHING else I can do? So far the pcreg and service.exe seem benign, so can I just leave them?

#3 jp2spidey

jp2spidey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

This is my first post.  Please bear with me.  I'm confused as to the search engine on Bleeping Comp. because when I Google pcreg.exe several links come up including some from Bleeping Computers, yet when I place that same search in the Bleeping Comp search it finds nothing.

So far I've been to many sites all over the web and I can't find an answer that answers if Malware Bytes keeps finding it and states it's removed it but when I run MB again, it continues to find it.  In fact I can find the file in C\program files\pcreg\services.exe.  Can I just delete that file or is it just infected?  I find it running in my Task manager as well but don't see it running on my wife's computer.   

Thanks for your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users