Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find my second operating system

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tywin

Tywin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hi folks,

So I have Windows 8(OEM) and I wanted to play around on Linux again.

I made a second partition, installed Ubuntu from a USB, had a play around on it and thought all was gravy.

Now when I load my computer it doesn't give me the option to choose what I want to boot, when I press F12 it doesn't give me the option to do anything related to anything other than Windows, so I'm really not sure what to do.

I went in out of interest to install it again and it said "Install alongside Ubuntu xx.xx.xx", so it's definitely there and installed, I just can't figure out how to boot it.

Any ideas?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 22 May 2014 - 06:32 PM.
Moved to Linux etc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tywin

Tywin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

I've managed to fix it.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

Glad to hear that!

Did you fix it with a backup, a partitioning tool, the Windows 8 inbuilt Startup Repair, or other tool?

Just curious as to how, to add to the community database of solutions.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

I made a second partition, installed Ubuntu from a USB

You do know that you can install Linux to a USB stick? And it will work just as well as on HDD. And once installed you can boot almost any pc?

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

I made a second partition, installed Ubuntu from a USB

You do know that you can install Linux to a USB stick? And it will work just as well as on HDD. And once installed you can boot almost any pc?

Yeah, except Windows 8 OEM computers that has Secure Boot enabled by default.

In that case, Secure Boot has to be disabled, plus possibly a couple of more settings depending on brand, to accomplish this. Note that, in contrast to what many has been led to believe, that MS didn't intend on locking out Linux dual or portable booting with Secure Boot & the UEFI BIOS.

Rather, this was done to prevent malware from loading during boot (all signatures are checked) & the not being able to dual boot or install another OS was a side effect of the new standard. Which really isn't that new, work on it began in 2006 & UEFI MB's were available before Windows 8's release.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

Rather, this was done to prevent malware from loading during boot

Yes, And its not a bad idea. I also think that UAC on Windows should be on all the time, and would go as far as saying that it should be password protected. Kinda like root on Linux.

When I use my PC I never log in as me, I just use a secondary account that allows me to save stuff like doccuments. if i need root i use terminal.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 May 2014 - 09:47 PM.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:27 PM

Some Linux OS's, such as RedHat, has a signed key for Secure Boot, last I read, it was being worked on for Ubuntu. though over Linus Torvald's objections.

It's too early to say whether or not Secure Boot, which is good, will be available for mainstream Linux.

I also had to disable it in order to install Windows 7, it would seem that MS would have created a signed key for the most popular OS on the planet. As to UAC, I've never disabled this. It's a simple prompt to make sure that this is for sure what one wants to execute.

Wish that the OP would come back & post how this was solved.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users