Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installed new ram, stops booting after initializing usb controllers...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nando99

nando99

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

my info: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/h0Ig6yvGSujSjnYoexr2GIF

I was constantly getting blue screens and started digging around and found out my ram was bad (old thread: http://bit.ly/1qYqVMv)

sent it in to corsair and got my replacements and now my pc won't boot...

UGfSURU.jpg

i dont know if its the frequency, the voltage... i have no idea... this new ram says its quad channel... no idea why its getting stuck. they obviously didnt send me the exact ram i had before...

any and all help is appreciated!

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

Hi,

Have you checked the specs on the RAM against the motherboard specs for RAM. If they don't match I'd be contacting corsair for RAM to replace the replacements. If the RAM is correct for the motherboard then it might take removing the CMOS battery for a minute or two with the box unplugged so that the system has to do a new inventory of the attached / installed devices.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 nando99

nando99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

ram is the same... it looks the same...

new ram:

4TIoMJk.jpg

old ram:

eFZL9xN.jpg

i removed the cmos battery for 2 minutes while the pc was off for the reset and still nothing... gets stuck at the same place... i have no idea what it could :(

any other ideas?

thanks in advance

#4 nando99

nando99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

did all the steps again.

unplugged all connected usbs. removed all memory sticks and put them in order dimm 1, dimm 3, dimm 2, dimm 4 - went to turn on the pc and now its not sending a video to the monitor.. wtf did i do?!?!

dammit  :ranting:

EDIT I didnt fully click in a stick, thats what i did smh... now i get video but its still stuck at the same spot

Edited by nando99, 26 May 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hi,

The BIOS looks a bit old [2010]. Have you gone out and checked to see if it is current?

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P55CD53.html#/?div=BIOS

dated 2011-3-3 might make a difference if everything else is current.

If you have the installation disk put it in the drive, power up and press F12 [or the key for the boot menu] select your primary drive and see if you can get to the desktop

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 nando99

nando99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

I can't seem to do anything... can't get into bios or boot menu. it just hangs on USB controllers...

#7 nando99

nando99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

so i finally got new ram (2 4gb ballistix) just to see if its the new ram or the mobo. i can actually boot now so i'm guessing its the ram... i was gonna make the changes you recommended to try the new ram 1 more time but i cant... i cant change any of the values, they're grayed out... and then everything freezes when i click enter on Advanced DRAM Configuration... i'm going to try and send these new sticks back and rma the rmas...

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

You may have an issue with your third or fourth memory socket, since two modules work and four do not.  Sounds like you have sufficient RAM to troubleshoot the issue.

Put in two sticks by themselves of the RMA RAM and see it boots.

If it does not boot put in the other two sticks of RMA RAM and see if it boots.

If it boots put the two sticks you just bought in slots three and four and see if it boots.

If it does not boot you most likely have an issue with the motherboard RAM socket.

If it boots then one of the remaining RMA RAM sticks is defective.  Install them in place of one of the RMA RAM sticks currently installed and test.

#9 nando99

nando99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

gotcha, at work - will try when i get home.

thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users