Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Randomly disconnecting from WiFi

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 koyax

koyax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

I couldn't really give a good title to this thread so I'm gonna explain it here thoroughly.

I've been using my home WiFi to access the internet for like 3 months (from this laptop). The problem that occurs is that at any random time during the day I get disconnected from the network. Now that wouldn't present the problem unless the following occurred every time - when I try to reconnect, no matter how many times I do, I always get the 'Can't connect to this network' without any further explanation. The annoying solution that I found is to restart the PC every time and it works, but sometimes it's really inconvenient because I may be in a middle of some work for which I needed the internet. Oh, and forgot to mention, when I lose the connection every other device connected to the WiFi works normally (still connected to the network, no problems) so I am positive that it's not about the network, it's about my computer.

I hope someone has an answer to this,

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

"I've been using my home WiFi to access the internet for like 3 months (from this laptop}"

I think we need more information: Is the laptop yours and is it only 3 years old?

--- Is it an older laptop that doesn't have built in W-Fi?

--- Is there an additional wireless router involved?

Does the network adapter driver and/or firmware need to be updated?

Are there any recent incompatible installs/downloads recently such as an "alternate network connector"

Is there anyone else using your home Wi-Fi?

#3 koyax

koyax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

'Is the laptop yours and is it only 3 years old?'

- I said 3 months not 3 years. Yes it's mine, and I bought it 3 months ago.

' Is it an older laptop that doesn't have built in W-Fi?'

- No, it's new laptop and it does have a built in Wi-Fi.

'Is there an additional wireless router involved?'

- No

'Does the network adapter driver and/or firmware need to be updated?'

- No, I checked that.

'Are there any recent incompatible installs/downloads recently such as an "alternate network connector"'

- No

'Is there anyone else using your home Wi-Fi?'

- Yes, and as I mentioned during my 'collapse', their connections stay stable and with no issues whatsoever

#4 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

Hey koyax, 

You can try to change the authorization of the router if you are using something different than WPA2, however I will amend to you to read about ddwrt and update your router with such firware.

if thus will be to complicated for you, as last option you can change the channel of the frequency to 11 let say.

I hope this will help.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

I don't know how I went from 3 months to 3 years; thank you for your answers

Is the problem new, if not how long?

Since the computer is new, would your warranty cover having the computer checked out?

Try using the laptop just next to the wireless router and see if it makes a difference vs. the location the laptop is normally being used being used?

Another idea: bring the laptop to a friends house who has wireless, maybe to the library and see if the same issue occurs

#6 Steviejeep

Steviejeep

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

I had a similar problem a while back with my airport express, where my laptop would randomly disconnect and I would have to unplug the router before it would reconnect. I try a bunch of things on the laptop, but what eventually fixed it was resetting the router to original factory condition and then rebuilding the network. Not sure if a similar fix would work for you, but might be worth a try using f nothing else works.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:05 AM

I agree with Steviejeep. The items I have posted are from past experience along with recommendations from Microsoft, other sites and related posts. Even though others can use you Wi-Fi, the process of elimination comes into play

The next step is to get back to the basics: call your ISP and go through their wireless routers setup & configuration for your computer (if there are "mismatches with the ISP's setup & configuration with the wireless adapter in your laptop that's what will need to be determined) 

--- If successful, do not rebuild the network yet, use your laptop for a reasonable amount of time (3-5 days sound good) to ensure it will continue to work properly

--- Others can still use your wireless access even if they are not networked; all they need is the password (make it strong) to function

There are further process of elimination steps to take but that's a start

--- If you want to network the system, you can do so once everything else is in control

I'd like to recommend that if your computers warranty covers your problem, have the laptop checked out

--- What we don't know yet is whether or not this is a new problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users