Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading HDD and Re-format

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Iscariot

Iscariot

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

Hello World.

I recently purchased a 2TB Seagate Hybrid Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178380) that I wish to use as my main Disk Drive, dropping my current HDD to a secondary drive for storage. When it arrives, how would I go about setting up the drive as if my system was Factory Restored and able to access files on the other drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

Use a disk image program to image your (current) main/boot disk to your new one. I recommend Acronis. It will resize your current partition to fit the new disk size. Then once your (new) system is running and stable you can reformat your old drive and use it as a new storage drive.

:busy:

#3 Steviejeep

Steviejeep

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

I have had issues with cloning drives where a partition is created on The new drive that reflects the size of the old drive. If that happens you can use a tool such as gparted to resize the partition to take advantage of the size of the new drive. Acronis used to have this problem, but its been a few years since I used it. Any who something to look out for.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, the new Acronis deals with it much better than older versions... I know what you are talking about Stevie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users