Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound card not being detected

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Neurosis

Neurosis

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:33 AM

I just got a Sound Blaster Z and installed it (hardware-wise) but my computer won't detect it. It doesn't show up in device manager, or in my BIOS when I examine the slots on my motherboard. I've tried it in the pcie 3.0 x16 slot (which is two slots down from my graphics card, which is in the first pcie 3.0 x16 slot, also coincidentally hogging up enough space to render the x1 slot above it completely useless), and then moved it to the pcie 2.0 x16 slot at the bottom of my motherboard, but both times nothing was detected, and it was shown as empty in the bios (and device manager). The sound card itself lights up when I turn on my computer, so its not completely unresponsive, but its just not being found for some reason.

This is my motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme3/

I also have an EVGA GTX 760 SC, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, and an i5 3570K.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:54 AM

There's a similar thread here.

ssgtnubb says he re-installs the drivers monthly or so... drama.

I use a M-Audio Delta 44, which was high end when I got it, but it's still a great stable device for ASIO playback and recording.

Edited by TsVk!, 22 May 2014 - 03:57 AM.

#3 Neurosis

Neurosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

There's a similar thread here.

ssgtnubb says he re-installs the drivers monthly or so... drama.

I use a M-Audio Delta 44, which was high end when I got it, but it's still a great stable device for ASIO playback and recording.

I wish I could install the drivers in the first place, but they always say "unable to detect a supported product".

Is it safe to leave the thing in there while I figure this out? It's just shining its murderously bright red light, seems harmless enough, but I'm paranoid it will spontaneously melt or do something equally deadly and improbable

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:10 AM

I don't see any reason for it to spontaneously combust... lol

If you can take that thing back I would though.

#5 Neurosis

Neurosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:17 AM

I don't see any reason for it to spontaneously combust... lol

If you can take that thing back I would though.

I could RMA it, I'm just really reluctant to :( My last creative card was such an edge over my onboard sound for my 5.1 speaker system, and I like the legacy EAX features (makes old games more enjoyable). It would make all my games sound so much better...if only it actually worked

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

There's just so many bad reports on the card,

It kind of reminds me of these JUD500 docking stations I use. On 4 machines they will work fine, but on the fifth one (identical machine) there is no solution... You can swap around the hardware and software between the machines as much as you like, but they seem to have a personal dislike for some machines, no logic.

Your card isn't following the manufacturers guideline saying the card will be detected before driver installation, maybe you just got a dud mate?

(I'm also seeing reports of soundcard conflict and all sorts causing your issue, it's a documented buggy device)

#7 Neurosis

Neurosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:50 AM

Well, crap. Any idea what would be a good substitute? Maybe I'll try to RMA it once, but I don't know if I wanna deal with such a pain in the ass card...but if I could find something different, around a hundred dollars or less maybe, compatible with windows 8.1 and with a focus on gaming (immersive surround sound, EAX would be nice but i'm sure Creative's got the lockdown on that, CMSS-3D or SBX maybe, I don't really know what other features a sound device could have that constitutes being "gaming" focused), i'd love to spring for something more reliable that will still sound better than my onboard realtek bleepe.

Edited by Neurosis, 22 May 2014 - 04:51 AM.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

I'm out of the market.. Can't really give any 1st hand advice there sorry. A very long time since I bought my last 5.1 sound card.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

It probaby will not make a difference but in the UEFI BIOS, make sure Onboard Audio is disabled. The default is Auto and should have recognized the card in the PCIe slot but maybe setting it to disabled will help.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

(I'm also seeing reports of soundcard conflict and all sorts causing your issue, it's a documented buggy device)

Graphics card conflict I meant to say...

#11 Neurosis

Neurosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

Well, I switched it through 3 PCI-E slots, tried it with the onboard sound uninstalled and disabled in BIOS, no luck. I dunno if its a dud, or just being incredibly difficult, either way I'm about to just say bleep it :s

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:29 AM

Some others were reporting conflicts with graphics cards.... did you try uninstalling your graphics card first? If you can then re-install your graphics after, if it works.

(what a shocking monkey dance)

#13 Neurosis

Neurosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

Some others were reporting conflicts with graphics cards.... did you try uninstalling your graphics card first? If you can then re-install your graphics after, if it works.

(what a shocking monkey dance)

Hah, I'm afraid I'm not willing to go that far. As much as I want the better sound, I don't think this particular card is worth so much trouble to even get it detected. =/ I'm already gonna have to re-overclock my CPU because of it, I don't wanna have to go through all my graphics card crap too :( This isn't something you normally have to do, right? Only for incompetent cards/companies?

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:35 AM

It's just a bum card mate. I've never seen so many bug reports on a sound card before, this is truly NVidia territory. (the amount of bugs and compatibility issues, that is)

edit: the penny just dropped for me... it could very well be your NVidia graphics card causing this. lol.

edit edit: even people who have got these things working still report that they often disappear again :unsure:

Edited by TsVk!, 23 May 2014 - 12:40 AM.

#15 Neurosis

Neurosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:43 AM

It's just a bum card mate. I've never seen so many bug reports on a sound card before, this is truly NVidia territory. (the amount of bugs and compatibility issues, that is)

Well, crap. I was looking forward to something better than Realtek. I guess at least Realtek works. =/

Something else...

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2013/02/creative-sound-blaster-z-review/sbz-5b.jpg

I had to break off that last bit of the metal strip (a piece of the right side a bit to the left of the little hole, now it only pokes a little ways past the card itself) to get it to even fit in my motherboard. That'll probably hurt my chances for an RMA, yeah?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users