Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrading to Windows 7 from Win8, cannot due to GPT partion HD.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

So I am trying to downgrade my laptop with a USB drive version of Win 7. I cannot install it due to it already being a GP partioned drive.

What can I do to get around this and continue the install. ( HP Laptop previously running Win 8 )

Thanks

Gracias

Vielen Dank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

That is a big issue, If you laptop was not Windows 7 before then going to Windows 7 from 8 is almost impossible.  This is because Windows 8 ties its self to the CPU or memory or something in the motherboard group.  You can Down grade IF your device is Windows 8 Pro.  Here is a good how to and all that from Computer World and doing this and the issues with it.

Your GPT issue is usually solved by disabling secure boot, or in BIOS using UEFI only.  Others have just deleted all the partitions and installed it that way too.

Here is some info on it from TechNet

And there are many pages about this on BleepingComputer as well, here is the link to one.

Good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

I was able to continue by deleting every partition and installing on a blank one.  ( I was saving the OEM recovery partition in case bleep went down hill and I bricked my laptop)

Thanks Friend,  any way I can buy you a beer?

2nd edit. I shouldnt of counted my blessings yet,   every instance of opening  My Computer / Files / Control Panel is giving me a Windows cannot find specified file, path etc error message bc of permissions. 

I guess its back to Windows 8 and selling the laptop.

Edited by digitalmatter, 22 May 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:55 AM

OK, now that you are to this part, you can try a clean reinstall of windows 7.  This happened to me more than once, I upgrade or reinstall and it kinda works.

So here is some info on how to do a clean install, read all the way through it, then do it, any questions please ask.

This guide covers everything, for XP to 8.1 so its a big large, if its too much HowToGeek has a simple one with some command line in it, I have used both and they work really well. 

Let me know if you need any help

good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users