Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer external hard drive is displayed as RAW

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Craig45s

Craig45s

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

Have you ever met the similar RAW external hard drive problem? My external hard drive just is in RAW file system on my computer. Without formatting, I just cannot access anything inside this drive. But, I also don’t want to lose anything inside it by formatting. So, I need your help! Do you have any idea to access my data there without formatting? Any idea could be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2014 - 10:32 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BLACKB0X

BLACKB0X

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

If the drive is "Raw" then you have lost the partition on there buddy. You can use some freeware to see if you can recover original partition once again. I've used [ http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk ] before when I had a similar issue swapping a linux drive into my windows machine. Let me know how it goes!

#3 Enoch454

Enoch454

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

Is there any weird or abnormal sound or clicking when using it on your computer?

If you have not heard any strange sound, your problem may be not as serious as you think.

Stop using this drive temporarily and also do not format this drive.

And then, try it on your computer and check whether all your important files can be rescued with the help of some drive data recovery programs online, like Recuva, iCare Data Recovery Free, Power Data Recovery and more.

No matter which one will be your choice, just act carefully in case of any farther data loss.

Also remember to format this drive after data recovery and check whether this RAW file system could be turned back to your previous file system.

Next time, you should not store important files on only one drive again. 

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:05 AM

Have you ever met the similar RAW external hard drive problem? My external hard drive just is in RAW file system on my computer.

Yes, plenty of times. A logical file system corruption or a physical surface defect can cause a partition to became RAW. Ironically most users have the bad habit of creating only one partition in hard drives which makes the issue worse. If there is at least two partitions, chances are great that you may find the second partition and it's file system as healthy ( 90 % times - from my practical practical experience ).

You can try running check disk which might repair the corruption but before doing that you should verify the physical health status of the drive. What is the make and model of your drive ?.

If the drive is a "Seagate" one, download and install "Seatool" from the below link and execute "Basic Tests --> Long Generic".

http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

If the drive is a "Western Digital" make, download and install "WD Data Life Guard Diagnostics" and run "Extended" test.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 22 May 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#5 Chad4564

Chad4564

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

OK! The RAW file system problem is not so difficult to resolve. As long as the stored files have not been overwritten by anything new, you do have chances to get them all back with data recovery software.

Here are steps for you:

1). Do not overwrite or format this drive before data recovery.

2). Insert this drive to computer and use your selected data recovery tool to scan it deeply.

3). Save and back up all restored data on another drive in case of data loss.

4). Format this drive to fix its RAW file system problem.

You can read more detailed information of data recovery here:  

raw-file-system.blogspot.com/2013/02/raw-drive-recovery.html

I hope it can help you a lot.

PS: Always back up important data well in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users