Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying the correct motherboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Coporato

Coporato

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hey everyone,

recently I thought about upgrading my computer a little bit. I'm gonna start out first by swapping out the motherboard and my computer case, so here's the question.

I'm planning to buy this case:

http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=423

And now I'm unsure about buying the motherboard since this case has a front panel with audio and USB inputs. Which motherboard should I buy to make sure I get the correct connections?

Would this work?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8B75V/overview/

Or this one?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4147#ov

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me.

Wishing the best, Coporato.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

What specific CPU do you have. And don't say "i3". Family, designation, code name. i7 2600K sandybridge for example.

And why do you want to swap your motherboard?

If you're looking at Z77 I'm going to assume you have a 3570K or 3770K. Don't buy a cheap POS motherboard like either one of those. Get a mid to high range Z77 so you get a robust VRM section.

ANY modern board will work with the USB and audio connections on your case, assuming it comes with both AC97 and HDA headers. I don't like that case btw. Corsair makes infinitely better and friendlier cases.

Edited by Mistersprinkles, 21 May 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#3 Coporato

Coporato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

What specific CPU do you have. And don't say "i3". Family, designation, code name. i7 2600K sandybridge for example.

And why do you want to swap your motherboard?

If you're looking at Z77 I'm going to assume you have a 3570K or 3770K. Don't buy a cheap POS motherboard like either one of those. Get a mid to high range Z77 so you get a robust VRM section.

ANY modern board will work with the USB and audio connections on your case, assuming it comes with both AC97 and HDA headers. I don't like that case btw. Corsair makes infinitely better and friendlier cases.

The processor I currently have is a Intel Core i3-2100, Sandy bridge, 2d generation. However, I'm planning on changing out it soon aswell, it's just a matter of budget.

And yeah, I do believe Corsair makes better cases, but they're quite deficit in the stores here, so that's why I chose this case. Also the case I chose has some development space.

#4 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

You should just do what everyone else does these days and order form Newegg. They have every case imaginable. Cheap or free shipping too. Given that you have such a low end CPU, and that you plan to upgrade the CPU once your budget allows, I would advise you to keep your current CPU/MOBO until you can afford a current gen chip and mobo such as a 4790K and a Z97-A. 

The reason I say this is that, even if you get into the highest chipset your CPU will work with (Z77), that limits you, at best, to 3rd gen (Ivy Bridge) cpus. That sucks for you. If you're upgrading right now or in the near future you want Haswell or Devil's canyon. Many more things have been integrated into the PCH, and you get 6 Sata 6gbps ports right on the PCH instead of 2. It's a much better platform. 

Why spend more money just to be able to support 2 year old technology? Seriously, think about it. 

If you really want to go through with this, regardless of it being a bad idea, let me know and I will recommend some boards. 

#5 Coporato

Coporato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Do you have Skype or something where we could use instant messaging? Would love to continue this conversation somewhere else.

#6 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Do you have Skype or something where we could use instant messaging? Would love to continue this conversation somewhere else.

Check your private messages. 

Btw sorry for being snappy earlier. I've been dealing with too many idiots today and it just got to me. Didn't mean to take it out on ya ;).

Edited by Mistersprinkles, 21 May 2014 - 05:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users