Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need details on PS2 and PS3...longevity?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ArchimedesNose

ArchimedesNose

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Greetings everyone,

I just had some questions pertaining to the PS2 and PS3 consoles...

Addressing the obvious, I realize quite a bit of time has passed since the release of both of these systems, so I realize this post may come across as old news...but recently, my PS2 (of 10 years) has passed on to a better place & I am now looking for a replacement (within reason). While I have done a bit of research, I can't seem to find current information to help assist me with deciding which models of these consoles to get.

1.) Which PS2 is more reliable (lasts the longest and has the least problems) the fat or slim? Should I pay attention to a certain model?

I've pretty much given up on considering purchasing a PS3 due to all the problems I've been reading about them having, but just in case...

2.) Does anyone recommend buying a used PS3? Why or why not?

If I'm not mistaken, I've read the 60 gb and 80 gb Playstation 3 models (the PS1 and PS2 backwards compatible models?) have had the most problems with functionality, but I really haven't been reading many good things about the system in general. So, any relevant information that can be added in response would be welcomed with open arms. :welcome: :thumbsup:

Naturally, I would love to get a used PS3, but if it's just going to die on me after a month, I see no reason to purchase it.

Thank you very much for your time,

**ArchimedesNose**

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

You're better off getting the PS3. If you simply want it for PS3 games, the new slim and super slim models of the PS3 are built great and will last for years when treated properly. I bought a used 160GB slim PS3 and have had it for over 3 years, no issues whatsoever.

As for the PS3's that were backwards compatible, those do break more often than not. One of the biggest issues is the disk drive. The disk drive was designed for blurays, and playing the PS2 DVDs in the drive wears it out faster than just playing blurays. They are also infamous for overheating and dying. I would strongly suggest staying away from these used if you can, although like any other piece of technology, they can last for years and years if treated right and taken care of.

If you're getting a PS2, go for the slim, without question. Built better in every way.

Used to be a manager for the largest video game company in the US, so any questions let me know!

Hope that helped.

#3 ArchimedesNose

ArchimedesNose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Thank you beans17 for a speedy and thorough response. It's nice to know that not only am I speaking with a proud owner, but someone who is also knowledgeable about this.

so any questions let me know!

Well...for starters, I still have some concerns with getting a used PS3. My biggest concern being that these units can go online which in my mind raises quite a few red flags. (call me old fashioned :))

Can PS3's be locked out of online access, locked out from playing games on the system, etc.? I've read about people who cheat (against other players online?) and get locked out of their system, or something of that nature...but I'm not sure if that's true or how far those restrictions go.

Can PS3's be susceptible to viruses, hackers, etc. and to what extent? What signs might I look for to help determine if a unit has these potential afflictions?

If these units can get viruses, can they prevent the unit from playing games entirely, or wipe the data on my games?

Would I need an anti-virus software?

the new slim and super slim models of the PS3 are built great and will last for years when treated properly.

What is the difference between a "new slim" and a "super slim?"

What measures need to be taken in order to treat these consoles properly?

This next question can affect both systems:

If a house storing these systems (a PS3 or PS2) is not being air conditioned, can these conditions damage the console?

As for the PS2,

If you're getting a PS2, go for the slim, without question. Built better in every way.

Would I need to find a certain model of slim, or are they all built to last?

As for the PS3, would I need to find a certain model of "new slim PS3" or "super slim PS3," or are they all built to last as well?

If it feels like I am bombarding you with questions, I do apologize. It just seems that as these game consoles evolve, so do their deciding factors. :)

Thank you for your time, and response (once again). Your assistance has been much appreciated.

**ArchimedesNose**

Edited by ArchimedesNose, 23 May 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#4 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Sorry for the long delay in response, been super busy the past week!

All PS3's (new or used) can go online, and you can only be locked out if Sony detects that the PS3 has been modified in a way to allow cheating in online games. So unless you go out of your way to do this, it cannot lock you out.

Anything connected to the internet is susceptible to a virus or hacking attack, but in my experience I have NEVER seen this happen, nor would there really be any reason to. No one is going to want to access your saved files on the system, which is pretty much all they will be able to get if they were to somehow hack into it. There is no anti-virus software, and your chances of actually getting a virus on the system are probably .000001% or even less. Most viruses are designed for WIndows computers, so they will not affect a PS3 since it is a totally different architecture and operating system. I really would not stress too much about viruses or hacking.

Here are pictures of the 2 different "slim" models of the PS3:

http://www.bigmediadaily.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/ps3-slim-01.jpg - Slim

http://images.vg247.com/current//2012/09/20120919_ps3_super_slim.jpg - Super Slim

The systems are identical spec wise, just the design is slightly different. 

Ideally, you want the system in an open, well ventilated space, but they are both well designed so that they will not overheat (unless clogged with dust!)

And no, that should not be an issue! As long as the systems are well ventilated!

There is only one model of the slim PS2! So any one of those will work.

http://www.clickbd.com/global/classified/item_img/671396_0_original.jpg - slim PS2

As for the ps3s, they are all built the same. The only main difference is the hard drive size!

And no worries, glad I can help. Again, sorry for the delay!

- Beans

#5 ArchimedesNose

ArchimedesNose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

beans17,

Thank you for replying back...I wasn't sure if you would return, so I hope you don't mind I asked several of these questions on the eldergeek forum, and they had similar answers to yours. :)

Although, I do have a few more questions to ask:

Do you recommend the latest system updates like PS3 Firmware 2.70 from Trend Micro/Sony? Why or why not?

In this thread, I believe we covered that there have been Playstation 3 units in the past, that played both PS1 and PS2 games, as well as the games made specifically for the console...but do all PS3's (including the New Slim and Super Slim) play PS1 games?

Can you plug PS1 and PS2 controllers in the Playstation 3 control ports, or do you have to use a PS3 controller?

On a side note: I really like the look of the Super Slim. It's very sleek, and visually appealing. Do they come in different colors, or always black?

Once again, thank you for your response. I look forward to your next!

**ArchimedesNose**

#6 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

I always recommend the latest firmware! Makes sure your PS3 is up to date and usually they patch flaws from older firmwares in the newer firmware, so your best bet is to keep it updated.

All PS3 consoles will actually play PS1 discs, but not PS2. So if you have PS1 disc-based games lying around, they will work. 

The ports are all USB based, so the 1st party sony PS1 and PS2 controllers will not work, unless you get an adapter (EX: http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Playstation-Controller-Adapter-Converter-3/dp/B000PS1TG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401804195&sr=8-1&keywords=ps2+controller+adapter+for+ps3). All of the controllers are very similar though, so it should not be too much of an issue!

I have seen the Super Slim system come in red, white, blue and black! http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/garnet-red-ps3.jpg

-Beans

#7 ArchimedesNose

ArchimedesNose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

Hello again, beans17.

How are you doing?

I hope you don't mind, but I have gathered together more questions. :workout:

I assume that hard drive size (12gb, 250gb, 500gb, etc.) will not be a determining factor on how well a game will play on the system since you say:

beans17 says:

The systems are identical spec wise, just the design is slightly different. 

and

beans17 says:

As for the ps3s, they are all built the same. The only main difference is the hard drive size!

So, if I'm correct, why are there so many GB added to those systems? To download games online perhaps? Homebrew and things like that?

How many GB does it usually take to save your progress in a game?

What makes a 500gb PS3 shine over a 12gb PS3?

I did read something that concerned me recently; shortly after I posted this thread, there was someone else who started a topic in this forum about having problems with their 250gb Super Slim PS3. (Is this what you were recommending I buy?) I believe they said the unit was bundled with a game called "The Last of Us." (Not sure if that makes a difference or not.) The OP claims to be having massive lagging issues when playing their games, and not only did they voice their extreme displeasure with the Super Slim in general, but that "...lag seems to be a common problem with these..." Have you heard anything similar to this about the PS3 Super Slims? The thread may have just finished, and yet, fails to provide a conclusive explanation as to what caused the units' malfunctioning.

It's also interesting to mention a couple other things...

1.) Although the OP does not say outright that he bought the system new, I get the impression that it was...since he says it was bundled with "The Last of Us."

2.) The unit supposedly "...sat around..." ("...never used...") "...in..." his "...sister's house for a year..."

Have you read this thread? Do you have an impression as to what might be wrong with it?

Moving on...

What is the difference between the Red Light of Death and the Yellow Light of Death?

If an owner says that they've had problems with their PS3 unit (RLOD/YLOD?) but went and got it fixed...Even if I test it, and it works at the moment, do I avoid purchasing this unit at all cost or can I expect it to last at least 5 years now that it's been repaired?

When purchasing locally, do you recommend looking for anything in particular to help determine whether or not a PS3 is worth buying?

The ports are all USB based, so the 1st party sony PS1 and PS2 controllers will not work, unless you get an adapter (EX: http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Playstation-Controller-Adapter-Converter-3/dp/B000PS1TG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401804195&sr=8-1&keywords=ps2+controller+adapter+for+ps3). All of the controllers are very similar though, so it should not be too much of an issue!

I agree it's not a big issue, but it would still be nice to be able to use the original PS1 controller. Can you plug that into the USB PS2 to PS3 adapter plug?

Once again beans17,

Thank you so much for your time.

I look forward to your reply.

**ArchimedesNose**

Edited by ArchimedesNose, 04 June 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#8 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

Hi, I own a PS3 Slim, its the only PS3 I've owned, I've haven't had any issues so far and I've had it for around 4 years. I can't say that I take good care of it since its pretty dusty. Well any way, sorry for butting in but I wanted to see if I could help answer some questions since I'm bored...

So, if I'm correct, why are there so many GB added to those systems? To download games online perhaps? Homebrew and things like that?

How many GB does it usually take to save your progress in a game?

What makes a 500gb PS3 shine over a 12gb PS3?

It really depends on whether you will be downloading a lot of games or not.

If you are going to buy all of your games on disc then you shouldn't need HEAPS of GB, but there are some games that can only be downloaded or you might find a good deal on a downloadable game.

However, games (Disc or Downloaded) need to install Game Data to play. Game Data is differant to Save Data.

Save Data is your Save Files which stores your progress in a game.

Save Data generally does not take up much memory, normally just a couple hundred KBs or less.

Game Data are saved settings for a game (i.e., controller preferences, brightness settings, etc.) and helps the game to run smoothly.

Game Data usually takes up to 100s of Kbs to 100s of MBs, but sometimes, depending on which game, Game Data can take up lots of memory, up to GBs of memory.

(1024 KB = 1 MB . 1048576KB or 1024 MB = 1 GB)

You can delete Game Data without it losing your progress (save file) in a game BUT you will have to re-install it next time you start the game that you deleted the Game Data from.

It might be worth mentioning that on the back of all PS3 game covers, it tells you the minimun HDD space required for each game.

What is the difference between the Red Light of Death and the Yellow Light of Death?

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1733/kw/yellow%20light

The Yellow Light of Death is characterized when the power status light goes from green, to yellow, to green, then to a flashing red.

This means that there may be an issue with an internal part within the PS3 system.

There can be a number of causes of YLOD including, but not limited to:

fractured solder points on GPU (RSX) chip

dried out thermal paste

overheating

faulty power supply

corrupted hard drive

It was mainly a problem with the fat PS3 systems, though slim and super slim can stil get it.

If a PS3 system has the YLOD, it becomes nonfuncional and any discs inside must be manually removed by unscrewing a particular screw.

Here is a really interesting link you should read that explains some of the causes (and preventive measures) of YLOD in more detail: http://www.squidoo.com/3-tips-for-a-cooler-running-and-greener-ps3-system-models-cecha01-cechg01-

Normally when a PS3 system gets YLOD, it must be sent to Sony to be repaired for a fee if out of warranty.

Some people have also claimed to have fixed the YLOD on their PS3s using a number of methods that mostly including taking apart the system and voiding the warrenty all without a guarentee that it will work.

Its better to try and avoid the YLOD because there no guarantee that it will last long after its fixed, by Sony or a third party.

Some links about YLOD that may interest you:

Yahoo! answers - What causes PS3 ylod?

https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130823092218AAkGpZI

Playstation Forums - Real cause of the PS3 YLOD

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Real-cause-of-the-PS3-YLOD/td-p/31027874

Squidoo - Help avoid the YLOD 3 tips for a Cooler and Greener PS3

http://www.squidoo.com/3-tips-for-a-cooler-running-and-greener-ps3-system-models-cecha01-cechg01-

Gamespot Forums - Firmware Update 3.55 Causes YLOD?

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/playstation-discussion-1000002/firmware-update-355-causes-ylod-27534743/?page=1

The Red Light of Death is characterized when the power status flashes red and the PS3 shuts off.

It means there is an internal issue with the PS3 system.

(I am not entirely sure what The Red Light of Death is, but I think its this)

It may be caused by overheating, and probably other things that I don't know.

Even though I think overheating could be a cause of RLOD, I think the PS3 has a specific light sequence that indicates it is overheating instead (flashes red and green) so I don't that could be the RLODs main cause. Maybe some people get RLOD confused with YLOD because when you have YLOD, it plays a sequence of lights then goes to flashing red.

Sorry for not being useful.

Some links about RLOD that may interest you:

Playstation Forum - Blinking Red Light of Death

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/Blinking-Red-Light-Of-Death/td-p/19002783

Playstation Forum - Yellow light of death/ red light of death

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Yellow-light-of-death-red-light-of-death/td-p/15614315

Yahoo! Answers - What does a blinking red light on my playstation 3 mean?

https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110226162624AAqgXVW

Yahoo! Answers - PS3 turned off and red light is blinking?

https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130316093100AAVYPX7

If an owner says that they've had problems with their PS3 unit (RLOD/YLOD?) but went and got it fixed...Even if I test it, and it works at the moment, do I avoid purchasing this unit at all cost or can I expect it to last at least 5 years now that it's been repaired?

I would recommend not buying a PS3 that had issues and were fixed. Because I don't think it will last very long.

Though buying preowned that hasn't had any issues might not be bad. Make sure you find out how old it is and if its really dusty and if the owner was a smoker or not!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you were talking about PS2s aswell in some older postes, it might be worth noting though that a small number of PS2 games are incompatible with PS2 slim. I have a PS2 slim and one of my games do not work with it.

Here is a list of playstation games that are incompatible with PS2. If you scroll down it will also have a list of PS1 and PS2 game incompatible with PS2 Slim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

If none YOUR games are on that list and you are seriously considering getting a PS2 over a PS3, you should probably get a slim.

However if one or more games that you would frequently play are on that list, then you probably shouldn't get a slim.

Also, unrelated to some of your questions but I found a list that lists all the PS2 and PS1 games compatible with PS3 backwards compatability that may be worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_backward_compatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games

Well, I hoped I helped in some way. Sorry for butting in. And Sorry if I didn't explain something properly. I'm just a normal PS3 and PS2 owner... I actually ended up taking hours to write this post...... :o

Edited by I have a computer..., 09 June 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

I have an 80GB PS3 which I bought back in 2008. It's the one that is backwards compatible with PS2 games. I searched everywhere to find that model only to regret it afterwards. I paid $600 for that unit (yeah, PS3s are fairly new at the time so they're quite expensive.) but I never played PS2 games on it. It's just that I have some PS2 favorites that I thought I would go back to but never did. It's still very much alive and kicking at this time but I seldom use it now since my wife gave me a PS4.

The 80GB PS3 was more than enough storage for me as I only play 1 game.. the COD series.

IMAG2777.jpg

The GBs only matter if you plan to buy and download a lot of games online. But if you are going to use game discs, you will only need the GBs for your game save data, profiles and updates. As for videos and music, just take advantage of the USB ports. And the question of how soon a console starts to have an issue or starts to malfunction ("longevity") depends on use and abuse and if you got a factory defective unit. My 80GB PS3 is actually already a replacement by Sony. The first one had display issues after about 6 months and I've been only playing 2 games at the time. But since it was replaced, I never had any issues at all.

Right now, I don't have any game discs for the PS4 (maybe the COD Advanced Warfare will be the first one when it comes out in Nov 2014) as the last game I bought for PS3 (COD Ghosts) includes a digital version upgrade for PS4 for only $10. This is my first downloaded game for playstation but I got nothing to worry about because PS4 comes with 500GB of storage space.

As for buying pre-owned, it's a game of luck. A lot of people sells their old ones not necessarily because of issues with the console but because they just needed the extra money for the console upgrade.

Good luck!

Edited by badr0b0t, 09 June 2014 - 09:01 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 ArchimedesNose

ArchimedesNose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

I have a computer... says:

Well, I hoped I helped in some way. Sorry for butting in. And Sorry if I didn't explain something properly. I'm just a normal PS3 and PS2 owner... I actually ended up taking hours to write this post...... :o

I am glad both you and badr0b0t chose to post in this thread. Everyone has been a tremendous help, giving their input and suggestions. I just dislike when people make quick remarks and leave no sources to back up what they said...or when the subject of a thread sporadically changes. Although it can strangely become interesting, it can also be a bit difficult to steer the conversation back to home base. lol

But I think it's great to get personal perspectives as well as information from tekkies. I would love to know what other Playstation owners just like us think about buying these consoles used. In short, by all means..."butt in."

It really depends on whether you will be downloading a lot of games or not.

If you are going to buy all of your games on disc then you shouldn't need HEAPS of GB, but there are some games that can only be downloaded or you might find a good deal on a downloadable game.

If it's safe to begin with, the only kind of downloading I might be interested in, is homebrew, emulators, and maybe rare games that would be outrageously priced for their physical copies. (Tomba! comes to mind)

However, games (Disc or Downloaded) need to install Game Data to play. Game Data is differant to Save Data.
Game Data are saved settings for a game (i.e., controller preferences, brightness settings, etc.) and helps the game to run smoothly.

Game Data usually takes up to 100s of Kbs to 100s of MBs, but sometimes, depending on which game, Game Data can take up lots of memory, up to GBs of memory.

(1024 KB = 1 MB . 1048576KB or 1024 MB = 1 GB)

Is it the RPG's that become the memory hogs? On PS1, RPG's could have 3-4 discs, and PS2's I've seen them go at least two discs. (maybe more) It's nice to know that the backs of the games tell you how much HDD space consumers are looking at spending but...I'm still getting the overall impression you're saying an average game on the PS3 (between both the Save Data and the Game Data) is going to require at least 1GB. Is that correct? I was a bit confused with the string of numbers. lol

Its better to try and avoid the YLOD because there no guarantee that it will last long after its fixed, by Sony or a third party. I would recommend not buying a PS3 that had issues and were fixed. Because I don't think it will last very long.

As far as the Red and Yellow Lights of Death are concerned, I will need to find some time to look over the links you provided before I can say anything substantial or conclusive about these problematic scenarios, but regardless of what they are, I'm not sure it matters since you say they both indicate internal problems that have no guarantee of longevity even after they've been fixed. (Even if it was fixed by Sony) LOL Don't get me wrong; it's one thing if the system needs a $30.00-$50.00 part that you can get online (I expect machinery to slowly break) but it's another thing entirely when you send the unit in to be fixed of something serious and it still comes back with a chance of dying. Unacceptable Sony...Unacceptable!

If none YOUR games are on that list and you are seriously considering getting a PS2 over a PS3, you should probably get a slim.

However if one or more games that you would frequently play are on that list, then you probably shouldn't get a slim.

Thanks for the game compatibility lists. This should prove to be most useful. :)

As a matter of fact, I am considering getting the PS2 over the PS3...But there are several reasons why: the biggest reason being the frequency of malfunctioning PS3's that do not offer a long term fix, and the ticking time bombs that appear to be fully operable. But also, because I have a very limited amount of money and it doesn't seem very practical to get both systems if I want to explore what either system truly has to offer. I have several PS2 games that I am still not prepared to part with, and it doesn't seem as though Sony delivered much of a successful solution for PS2 enthusiasts. Now that's not to say that I won't buy a PS3 further down the line as the price continues to drop (I am actually intrigued with what they've done with it) but I am certainly in no hurry to spend a good amount of money on a 50-50 chance I'll receive a working system...and no games with it. My tune may change as soon as I look over the compatibility list you provided...but at the moment this is where my thinking is at.

badr0b0t says:

I have an 80GB PS3 which I bought back in 2008. It's the one that is backwards compatible with PS2 games. I searched everywhere to find that model only to regret it afterwards. I paid $600 for that unit (yeah, PS3s are fairly new at the time so they're quite expensive.) but I never played PS2 games on it. It's still very much alive and kicking at this time but I seldom use it now since my wife gave me a PS4.

I am a little confused: did you say that you regret buying your PS3 console because of how little (not at all) you play PS2 games on it, or that you regret finding the console you were looking for because of how expensive it was? (or both? :lol:). On the bright side, you have a model that is apparently known for having issues...but yours doesn't. If it isn't already, it may become a collector's item in the future...and if not...hey...you've still got a working PS3...and a PS4. :lol: I know I must've been living under a rock all these years, but what exactly is Call of Duty about? Is that like a Rainbow Six game? It also sounds like you bought a PS4 system with no games for it...did I read that correct?

badr0b0t says:

The GBs only matter if you plan to buy and download a lot of games online. But if you are going to use game discs, you will only need the GBs for your game save data, profiles and updates.

Do you know if Playstation offers shoppers a website where they can browse the game selection available for PS3 downloads, before purchasing a system?

badr0b0t says:

And the question of how soon a console starts to have an issue or starts to malfunction ("longevity") depends on use and abuse and if you got a factory defective unit. My 80GB PS3 is actually already a replacement by Sony. The first one had display issues after about 6 months and I've been only playing 2 games at the time.

Yikes! I'm glad your first PS3 was still under warranty. Now imagine how you might feel if those display issues occurred immediately after the warranty expired...I think I would cry. Especially after spending $600.00 on it.

badr0b0t says:

As for buying pre-owned, it's a game of luck. A lot of people sells their old ones not necessarily because of issues with the console but because they just needed the extra money for the console upgrade.

Good luck!

This is true...I realize not every system is going to have issues...I'm thankful there are several people who have satisfactory game consoles...and sell satisfactory game consoles...but between looking online and through word of mouth, it can be overwhelming to see so many people selling broken PS3 and Xbox units, or systems that have been fixed...or even advertisements for fixing these modern consoles. Eventually, I just end up asking myself if Sony and Microsoft intentionally built these systems to behave this way on purpose, or if they're still trying to catch up to their own technology.

**ArchimedesNose**

Edited by ArchimedesNose, 11 June 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#11 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hi, I'm glad I have helped.

I had a quick google and found some information on PS3 failure rates BUT I couldn't really find any up-to-date inormation so just be aware some of this stuff is old.

Questions regarding reliability

According to Ars Technica, the number of PlayStation 3 consoles that have experienced failure is well within the normal failure rates in the consumer electronics industry;[95] a 2009 study by SquareTrade, a warranty provider, found a two-year failure rate of 10% for PlayStation 3s.[96]

In September 2009, BBC's Watchdog television program aired a report investigating the issue, calling it the "yellow light of death" (YLOD). Among the consoles that experienced the failure, they found that it usually occurred 18–24 months after purchase, while the standard Sony warranty covers one year after purchase. After this time period, PlayStation 3 owners can pay Sony a set fee for a refurbished console.[97]

Sony claimed that, according to its statistics of returned consoles, approximately 0.5% of consoles were reported as showing the YLOD.[97][98] In response to the televised report, Sony issued a document criticizing the program's accuracy and conclusions; specifically that the faults were evidence of a manufacturing defect. The document also complained that the report had been inappropriate in tone and might damage Sony's brand name.[98][99]

Taken from Wikipedia

Here are a couple links:

Gamespot: Xbox 360 failure rate 23.7%, PS3 10%, Wii 2.7% - Study

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-360-failure-rate-237-ps3-10-wii-27-study/1100-6216691/

Gamespot Forum: PS3 Failure Rate: Time to Panic?

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/playstation-discussion-1000002/ps3-failure-rate-time-to-panic-26933520/

Also, you can access the PlayStation store online, where you can browse games for PS3, PS4 PSP and PS Vita. Just click on the blue "Shop Now" button to get started. I am not sure what country you live in so I just got the US one.

http://us.playstation.com/playstation-store/

Edited by I have a computer..., 14 June 2014 - 01:33 AM.

#12 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

At this point, I don't think you have too much to worry about. PS3 is almost done. Whatever is left in the market are the ones that have been re-designed and corrected based on the problems they've seen from earlier versions. I paid $600 for an 80GB. Right now, 500GBs are $270. If you are planning to get a pre-owned PS3. Get it from stores like Gamestop/EB Games. Maybe you can get one for $150 with 30 days store warranty. Don't buy from ebay or from a stranger. It's like tossing money in the trash can.

You've been doing a lot of research about this. At the end, the longevity of any console is beyond the owners control. Everything breaks. It's all just a matter of time. Now get that console and have some fun.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#13 ArchimedesNose

ArchimedesNose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hello everyone,

Sorry it took so long for me to respond back.

I have a computer...I finally got a chance to look over the links you provided and still stick with my initial statement about the Yellow/Red Light of Death. After watching the step by step tutorial that shows how to fix the Yellow Light of Death, I am certain this is a territory I would not feel comfortable exploring on my own...especially not at the prices PS3's are selling for at the moment. I found this quote (from the second link you provided) particularly interesting:

The European Union banned the importation of electronics containing lead in 2006, called Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS), which has caused most electronics manufactures to switch to lead free solder in their products, even those sold in the United States.

Kind of makes me wonder how many other companies have been criticized since then, for similar shortcomings because of this ban.

I also had no idea just how hard of a time Microsoft was having trying to launch these Xbox 360 units, before reading the "failure rate...study" article you provided...it's interesting both the PS3 and Xbox 360 units often died within 2 years, but Xbox 360 more frequently. Does that sound like another case of a lead free solder problem to you? I also found it curious the Wii has had significantly less issues with their units. Did these units use lead free solder as well?

Since you were talking about PS2s aswell in some older postes, it might be worth noting though that a small number of PS2 games are incompatible with PS2 slim. I have a PS2 slim and one of my games do not work with it.

Here is a list of playstation games that are incompatible with PS2. If you scroll down it will also have a list of PS1 and PS2 game incompatible with PS2 Slim:

The PS2 Slim still looks like the appropriate fit for me. I think the only incompatible titles that rattled my cage a little, were games like Final Fantasy Anthology (Which is supposedly incompatible with all PS2 models), Final Fantasy Tactics, The Legend of Dragoon, and Driver. Other than the lack of compatibility with those games I think the PS2 Slim is still sounding like a golden choice. I didn't see any of my PS2 games on that list, which is a very good thing. lol

I only saw two PS2 Slim models listed as having compatibility issues (SCPH-30001 and SCPH-75001)...Anybody know how many PS2 slim models there are though?

Also, you can access the PlayStation store online, where you can browse games for PS3, PS4 PSP and PS Vita.

It looks as though you can download free games for the PS3...that's a pretty cool feature isn't it? Is there no way to search PS1 games to put/download on the PS3?

I know how the both of you feel about buying used PS3's, but what about people who say their PS3 works, but lacks a hard drive? How easy is that to replace, and is there a way to test the unit before purchasing a hard drive for it? If you have to take the guts out of the unit like with what this guy did in the process of fixing his YLOD system...there's very little chance I'd even consider it. lol

badr0b0t says:

PS3 is almost done. Whatever is left in the market are the ones that have been re-designed and corrected based on the problems they've seen from earlier versions....Right now, 500GBs are $270. If you are planning to get a pre-owned PS3. Get it from stores like Gamestop/EB Games. Maybe you can get one for $150 with 30 days store warranty.

I've decided I'm going to wait on getting the PS3. I still have several PS2 games I'd like to hold on to, and since the fully backwards compatible PS3 models are not that reliable, it looks as though I will get a PS2 Slim for now. By the time I am ready to get a PS3 Slim or PS3 Super Slim, I doubt Gamestop/EB Games will still be selling these units. By the way, why do you say "...buying from eBay..." would be "...like tossing money in the trash can?..." Even if the unit didn't come with a warranty, eBay sellers still have a reputation to uphold for their stores. Did you have some bad purchasing experiences on eBay?

badr0b0t says:

At the end, the longevity of any console is beyond the owners control. Everything breaks. It's all just a matter of time.

Yes, I agree with you. But if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure even car companies and car salesmen have lemon laws that they have to abide by don't they? Just seems fair these units should have much longer warranties and better build solutions.

**ArchimedesNose**

Edited by ArchimedesNose, 24 June 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#14 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Everythibgo you said are valid 5 years ago. Backwards compatible had issues before. But they are not being produced anymore since 5 years ago.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#15 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Hi again,

I will try and answer some of your questions...:

ArchimedesNose:

Anybody know how many PS2 slim models there are though?

I think there are 2 or possibly more. because when I got my first PS2, it was a slim. (Not sure which one) But when I got another one years later, it was a slim but I noticed it was slightly different. The power button and disc tray button were smaller and I had slightly more trouble trying to hold down the power button long enough to turn it off, no big deal though. Also, the left side of the top of the system was glossy. I don't have my old one with me so I can't sit them side-by-side to compare them.

This may explain some of the models but I don't have much time right now and have not read it properly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_retail_configurations

ArchimedesNose:

Is there no way to search PS1 games to put/download on the PS3?

Um yeah I know you used to be able to search for PS1 and PS2 games on the PlayStation Store from the PS3 but I haven't played the PS3 in a couple of months so they COULD of changed it. I will check next time I turn on my PS3.

ArchimedesNose:

How easy is that to replace, and is there a way to test the unit before purchasing a hard drive for it?

The hard drive is very easy to replace! You do not need to disassemble the PlayStation 3 console to removed/replace the Hard Drive on all models and it does not void the warranty if you replace the Hard Drive.

Here is instructions from the PlayStation website that show you how to replace the Hard Drive so you can see: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/362/kw/remove%20hard%20drive/session/L3RpbWUvMTQwMzg4NTI2NC9zaWQvWk9PSm5UWGw%3D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...hope I helped..!

Edited by I have a computer..., 27 June 2014 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users