Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jlrod79

jlrod79

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

Hi guys hoping for a little help here. My home pc (Dell 3 years old) is set up for automatic updates on Sunday nights (windows, anti virus). On Monday my pc screen was hung on the windows logo not sure how long since I didnt turn off or restart so it mustve been after the auto updates. Once i noticed it hung up on the windows logo i turned it off and restarted and came up with a disk read error. I tried restarting a few times but came up with the same error. I removed the hard drive and added it to a Sata enclosure and it spins and is recognized as an external for a couple minutes at a time then ejects itself. The drive spins even after it ejects itself. No beeping or clicking. I was able to retrieve some data this way but since it keeps ejecting itself after a few minutes or sometimes just a minute its going to be impossible to retrieve all my data this way (1Tb).

Anyone have any idea what might be happening? Am I doing harm by continuing to try to retrieve data this way? Im hoping since the drive does get recognized at times that I may be able to salvage the data somehow.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Welcome,

If this was your primary drive [with the operating system on it] have you tried to use the installation disk and do a start up repair?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 jlrod79

jlrod79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

It is the primary drive, after the issue started the system would come up with a disk read error, so I could never run a startup repair because it didn't recognize the hard drive. When I took the hard drive out and put it in an enclosure it was recognized and I see my files, but it only stays recognized for a few minutes. I'm sure the drive is on its last leg, but was still hoping to get some data off. I might have to bite the bullet and take it to a data recovery company.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hi,

Data recovery i$ an expen$ive proce$$ Do it only if you will lose mega bucks. Last time I looked the starting price was $1,000.00 and went up quickly from there. If you find a better offer you can trust you're lucky.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

Am I doing harm by continuing to try to retrieve data this way? 

If the drive is failing, you may actually cause more damage by doing this. The best thing you can do is to use Linux command line tool "DDrescue" to image the drive. "DDrescue" is specially designed to image a failing drive without causing further damage. However it is a command line tool so some knowledge about Linux is required. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 22 May 2014 - 01:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users