Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to update Drivers per DriverTuner suggestion?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wgb55

wgb55

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

On a Windows XP system I am tring to run X-Plane simulator program and it says I need to update my video driver.  Here is the log,

Installer log.txt for X-Plane Demo Installer 3.20r3 compiled on Feb 12 2013 10:44:04

This log file is generated automatically by Laminar Research applications and contains diagnostics about your graphics hardware, installation, and any error conditions.
If you need to contact tech support or file a bug, please send us this file. NOTE: this file is rewritten every time you start ANY of your X-System applications.

If you got a hard system crash and want to report this to Laminar Research, then be sure to send your crash_report.txt file generated by the crash as well!

Windows 5.1 (build 2600/2) Service Pack 3
This is a 32-bit version of Windows.
CPU type: 586
Physical Memory (total for computer): 2144903168
Maximum Virtual Memory (for X-Plane only): 2147352576
CPU 0: Intel® Core™2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz  Speed (mhz): 2394
CPU 0: Intel® Core™2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz  Speed (mhz): 2394

X-System folder:'', case sensitive=0

WGL_ARB_extensions_string WGL_ARB_make_current_read WGL_ARB_multisample WGL_ARB_pbuffer WGL_ARB_pixel_format WGL_ARB_render_texture WGL_ATI_pixel_format_float WGL_EXT_extensions_string WGL_EXT_swap_control WGL_ATI_render_texture_rectangle
WARNING: extension missing proc glUniformMatrix2x3fv.  This is a problem with your video driver.
WARNING: extension missing proc glUniformMatrix3x2fv.  This is a problem with your video driver.
WARNING: extension missing proc glUniformMatrix2x4fv.  This is a problem with your video driver.
WARNING: extension missing proc glUniformMatrix4x2fv.  This is a problem with your video driver.
WARNING: extension missing proc glUniformMatrix3x4fv.  This is a problem with your video driver.
WARNING: extension missing proc glUniformMatrix4x3fv.  This is a problem with your video driver.
0:00:00.000 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | X-Plane requires at least an OpenGL 2.0 driver to run.
0:00:00.000 E/SYS: |
0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | (OGL_extensions.cpp:752)
0:00:00.000 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the DriverTuner tool and ran it.  Its says that there 30 drivers that need updating.  Is it safe to do this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Well...I would change the question.  My question would be is Driver Tuner software needed by anyone?

The only comment I have about the "safety" of updating drivers is that, of course, it's "safe" if the software is written well and you trust the developers.

But, really...there is no need to ever "update" a driver which is working as it should and, thus, not creating problems on the system.  If a driver update doesn't provide additional functionality or solve an existing problem on a system...I see no reason to even think about doing such.

If it ain't broke...don't break it by "updating."

Louis

#3 wgb55

wgb55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

That makes good sense.  The only thing that is "broke" in this case is the X-Plane down load that will not run because X-Plane requires at least an OpenGL 2.0 driver to run.

Is this a valid driver for my systema and if so, what is the best way to get it?

Thanks for you input.

Greg

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

I'm an (occasional) flight simmer myself, which is why I am sticking my oar in !  The mininum system requirements for running X-plane 10 are here :-

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/system-requirements/

It doesn't make any mention of using Open GL, but does say a mininum of DX10, and preferably DX11. And in general, looking at their system requirements your system is at the bottom end of the mininum range, judging from the report you quoted above.

Which version of X-plane are you trying to run ?  There seem to be two currently available versions - v9 and v10, with v9 having somewhat less demanding requirements. And what video card are you using ?

While in general I agree with Louis about the lack of need for updating drivers as a general rule, it would be well worth your while in this case to visit your graphics card's manufacturer's web-site to see if there is an updated set of drivers for the card. This will at least cost you nothing !  If doing this doesn't solve your problem, the only solution may be a more capable video card, but make sure it is compatible with an XP system.

Have you had a look at the X-plane forums, or the general flight sim forums like flightsim.com to see what they have to say ?  In the final analysis, X-plane 10 is a fairly cutting edge simulator which needs a fair amount of computing resources to run well. Has your computer got the grunt to run it properly ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users