Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a wireless card on grandmas computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bleeepthisshib

Bleeepthisshib

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Hey I'm Roben, I'm 13. 

My grandma has an old 2009 desktop running Windos Vista Home Premium that she's had to move'd down into her bedroom. The router is sitting in the only place that works in the house, so I need to install a wireless adaptor. I have a wireless card with antenna already installed, it had been sitting there waiting for it for a long time. But I think the drivers aren't installed properly because it isn't working. I'm not used to this kind of stuff, I have barely worked with desktops...but this is a fun thing for me to learn with. Can somebody help me get this working?
I can't seem to find the drivers to download them... its a pretty old system so I wonder if their still available?

I can't carry her computer to the router to connect to the internet because its too heavy, so I'll have to do it myself, so as much help as I can get through explenation would be great. 

I know I could call someone else to fix it, but i'd like to figure it out myself. Let me know what you think, Thanks :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:53 PM

Hi welcome to BC.

But I think the drivers aren't installed properly because it isn't working.

I guess you do not have a drivers disk for that wireless card ?

Can we have more information on that wireless card , Eg make and model?

Something like this is easy to set up, and cheap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-USB-802-11b-g-n-300Mbps-WiFi-N-Wireless-Adapter-Dongle-Network-LAN-Card-/180857119047?pt=AU_Components&hash=item2a1beca147

Edited by NickAu1, 20 May 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#3 Bleeepthisshib

Bleeepthisshib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

Ofcourse sorry,

Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHz PCI-Adapter
M no: WMP54G

#4 Bleeepthisshib

Bleeepthisshib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

And no I don't have the drivers disk :/ , I could search a million years in this place and maybe find it...or maybe she used it in the garden... nonetheless it isn't here 

#5 Bleeepthisshib

Bleeepthisshib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:20 PM

NVM I found a Youtube tutorial :) Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users