Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer (unboxed today!) windows updates, STUCK

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ashleyl725

ashleyl725

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

So I got this computer delivered today. 

I tried going to the Store to upgrade to windows 8.1, but it told me that I needed to do all of the current updates first. So I checked for updates (on the "pretty" menu it just kept searching and didn't work, had to go through control panel... Haven't really had the best experience with 8 so far I tell ya!)

It's been stuck on installing update kb2938459 for literally hours now. I would like to get everything updated so that I can get to windows 8.1 and then update all my drivers and such. I've had this computer for all of 6 hours and I'm having such a horrible experience with this! I hope someone has some advice for me. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ashleyl725

ashleyl725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:51 PM

This person seems to have the same problem as I do, and also looks to have come to a conclusion about it... But how do I do a clean install of 8 so that I can attempt these updates before adding a microsoft account? Or is the damage done already? There were no discs or anything sent with the new computer, and if possible I'd like to avoid making any huge changes like that, but if it's what I have to do then I will... again, advice?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/error-code-80070643-when-installing-kb2938459/276547d3-58b9-4a98-82d3-d5e31e335e18?page=2

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:00 AM

Your new machine almost certainly has a Recovery partition that is used to reinstall the OS to factory condition. The documentation that came with your PC should tell you how to do this.

#4 ashleyl725

ashleyl725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

So after resetting the PC overnight, I was able to download and install all 99 important updates. I thought I was in the clear.

My system restarted, and then went to the configuring updates screen. I let it be for a while, it's been a 2.5hr process so far from download to configuring. I just looked at the screen again and it now says
"Failure configuring Windows updates
Reverting changes
Do not turn off your computer."

I have never had so much trouble with a brand new computer. I am so, so frustrated. I really hope someone has some insight or guidance on this topic...

#5 jleydon

jleydon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

So after resetting the PC overnight, I was able to download and install all 99 important updates. I thought I was in the clear.

My system restarted, and then went to the configuring updates screen. I let it be for a while, it's been a 2.5hr process so far from download to configuring. I just looked at the screen again and it now says
"Failure configuring Windows updates
Reverting changes
Do not turn off your computer."

I have never had so much trouble with a brand new computer. I am so, so frustrated. I really hope someone has some insight or guidance on this topic...

Very frustrating! We have been deploying mass amounts of computers and ran into very similar issues. You have a ton of updates and deploy them only to have the computer hangup and revert changes back. It becomes a nightmare to try to get it into a ready-state.

Ultimately, we ended up using a fully patched image to deploy to the machines because of problematic factory images. In this situation it was with Lenovo computers. For you however, this is most likely not an option.

I would recommend installing the updates in stages. Install anything .NET related and then restart, then do another set of updates based on the description in Windows Update. This will take awhile but at least the update will be applied and let you update successfully. Assuming you still have KB2938459  pending - install that one last. 

I believe the main issue here is that components are updating and other updates are related to it and it causes a problem when trying to actually apply a second update. By staging out your updates so that you can restart after blocks of 10-20 patches it should be a big help to get this fully updated so that you can install 8.1. Sorry this is so troublesome but the computer itself is probably fine and it is just the combination of OS Image and bulk Windows updates.

#6 ashleyl725

ashleyl725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

I will give that a try and update you with the results. Thank you for the quick reply! It may be a while before I have a progress report.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users