Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Viewpassword Micorsoft Security Essentials Ccleaner.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chcknlnchr

chcknlnchr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

If you made it to this thread and you are still using XP and MSE has failed on you(Microsoft ended support for XP on 4/8/14 along with MSE), I have created this thread to help with still-XP users who dont have strong enough computers to upgrade, whether it not be efficient for your machine or whether you just dont feel like going through the work of upgrading it,

The problem is that many of us who use our older but still maintained pc's have XP, but upgrading will cause a lot of work and a change in performance. I still use my 8+ year-old Sony Vaio Laptop as a media device, although now the problem is coming from the lack of Microsoft support, which leads to the bigger problem: lack of support from Micorsoft Security Essentials.

Which leads us also to Ccleaner. If you are a user of Ccleaner(and still have XP) it is a great program but i would highly advice against trying to update at this point as doing so for me caused more virus problems. It may be because I followed a faulty link but I have updated and used Ccleaner(Cookie Cleaner) for years with XP before Microsoft ended suppport and have had no problems.

I would post the specs of my old Sony Vaio at this point but I am currently in boot-scan mode... which lead us to...

I had to uninstall MSE to install Avast! to do a boot scan. WHY?

I am also an avid user of Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, and I also try to utilize Kaspersky Lab's Rootkit Killer(which did nothing again).

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware is my go-to anti-virus in WORST-CASE scenario, but even though their newest version is usable on XP, they are still working out the rootkit function bugs, so even though it can get rid of malware, it can be useless against rootklits at the moment. Going to their official site to check their responses and threads will show that they are working out bugs on 'rootkit option' checked and the full scan hanging up and stopping causing you to cancel and find alternative means.

AT this very moment, I AM running another Avast! boot scan, but this because of a mistake i made during the first one i believe... when you get to an option in the bootscan that asks you if you want to to remove/delete/'move to chest' a file that is located in 'temp' folder that is associated to Avast!, say no. That is my next plan, because the first time i did this I said yes and the scan stopped abruptly.

At this moment I can run my necessary programs and softwares on that PC where as before i could not. I can now run them no problem after the work I just did and explained but I'm not done until I completely clean my laptop. I will post this now and start the the thread and try to add as I go along. Hope this helps you out there.

P.S.: While writing this thread my Avast bootscan has gone farther now then before when it glitched when I said 'yes' to deleting the Avast! temp file. Deleting the Avast! temp file will stop the boot scan and cause you to hit the power button, then reload to desktop and go to the Chest and refresh it from the 'Chest' list.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chcknlnchr

chcknlnchr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

*FIXED*

Following my own steps above I was able to finally(after the 3rd or 4th try) complete a full boot-time scan with Avast!... I am now running a Malwarebytes Custom scan to make sure:

1: After the final Avast! boot-time scan is successfully complete and the computer has reloaded to desktop, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

2. Choose Custom Scan

3.Make sure that ALL devices in the right column are selected(to be sure).

4.Makes sure that 'Root-kit check' in the left column is UNCHECKED(as we are already aware that the root-kit function in Malwarebytes is broken, and since Avast! has been used we don't need it anyway).

5. Run the scan. If successful, you should come up clean.

I hope this has been of help.

#3 chcknlnchr

chcknlnchr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:00 AM

Malwarebytes stopped up during cleanse but still no problems... im using Avast! to to scan now. Still nothing at this point.

#4 chcknlnchr

chcknlnchr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

I fixed it with Avast. Ran a full scan with it and its clean. Now im using THAT as virus software until a find something better if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users