Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Raw after using with Win 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Frank28

Frank28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

Hi,

This happened a little while ago but didn`t have time to look into it before now. 

SO I have a Go-flex seagate of 250G that ask to be reformated every time it`s plugged into Windows.

I found some discussion and tried the following:

1. Recuva : Didn`t work
  2. Lazesoft : Didn`t work
  3. Photorec and test disk : Didn`t work

Then I Found this article http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/ 

but it didn`t work. I can`t mount the disk and Test disk  says ¨Partition read error¨. 

I don`t know what to do now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:06 PM

Hi

Based on the description you provided, i suspect that the HDD is failing ( or already failed ). I would recommend testing your drive with "Seagate Seatool".

http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Run the software and select your external HDD for testing. Then choose "Basic Tests --> Long Generic" and a full surface scan will be executed. Let us know the result in next reply.

#3 Frank28

Frank28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

Hi Anshad, Thanks for your reply.

I did it and it failed.

Here is the log:

2014-05-20 20:39:39

Unit Serial: 2GH38Y4V
Unit Model: Seagate Portable
Model: ST9250315AS
Serial Number: 5VCJKVSC
Firmware Revision: 0002BSM1
Short DST - Started 2014-05-20 20:39:39
Short DST - FAIL 2014-05-20 20:39:54
SeaTools Test Code: A89BE1EC
Long Generic - Started 2014-05-20 20:43:02
Bad LBA:       102268     Repaired
Bad LBA:       102269     Unable to repair
Long Generic - FAIL 2014-05-20 20:43:40
SeaTools Test Code: A89BE1DC
Long Generic - Started 2014-05-21 20:21:24
Bad LBA:       102268     Not Repaired
Bad LBA:       102466     Not Repaired
Bad LBA:       102467     Not Repaired
Long Generic - FAIL 2014-05-21 20:22:18
SeaTools Test Code: A89BE1DC

I choose  not to repair when started the test.

#4 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

You can also try Partition Wizard Mini Tool. Do an MBR Repair and also do a Surface test. BTW, what are the SMART info of your problem drive?

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

Hi

As i expected, the drive surface do have bad sectors. This is a hardware failure issue so rebuilding MBR won't fix it. If the drive is still under warranty, register it for replacement. Otherwise i would recommend buying a new one.

You can optionally select the repair option in "Seatool" which may remap the bad sectors with good ones from the sector reserve pool. However the repaired drive won't be reliable and may fail soon again. But if you opt to choose repair and the process completed successfully, you can run check disk to fix the file system corruption or reformat the drive. If the surface defect is serious, repair may fail and in that case there is no other option than to replace it.   

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 22 May 2014 - 04:22 AM.

#6 Frank28

Frank28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

Hi Anshad, I ran with the repair and it is still failing. Anything else I can do to recover?

Frozwire, thanks for your comments. I`m not an expert and I don`t know whats a MBR repair, surface test or the SMART info...

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

Hi Anshad, I ran with the repair and it is still failing. Anything else I can do to recover?

Recovering data from a disk with surface defect is not easy. If you are tech savvy, you can try cloning the disk to another good drive using Linux command line tool "DDrescue". For this to work, both source and destination disks should be directly connected to the Motherboard SATA ports - "DDrescue" may not work well with USB enclosures. A basic knowledge about Linux and it's command line interface is required to use "DDrescue".

Chances of a successful recovery depends on the amount of damage. In my experience, bad sectors tend to spread on contiguous sectors. For example let us assume a drive has 1000 sectors and it is partitioned in to two - partition one spanning from sector 1 to 499 and partition two spanning from sector 500 to 1000. If a bad sector developed in sector 10, it may corrupt the MFT and may cause severe damage to the file system on partition one. You may find partition one as totally trashed but partition two as perfectly healthy. Most people don't know this and create only a single partition even on large 2 TB or 3 TB drives. If either a logical or physical corruption happens to the disk, it will put entire data stored on the disk in risk.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 23 May 2014 - 01:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users