Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can i purge orphaned MSP files from the installer folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

So i have been searching the web for quite some time regarding this subject and there is a whole lot of arguing between those that claim microsoft fixit will work and whose who claim it is impossible.

i would like some sane advice from competent individuals and i know for a fact that it is possible to clean this folder because ms used to have a program called msizap that could delete orphaned pacakges without damaging the installer directory.

i also know which programs will and will not be uninstalled and would be more than willing to clean the folder manually if there was some way to take the file names and figure out exactly what programs and updates they went with.

for now i would like to know if there is any NON COMERCIAL software that can do this eaisly and painlessly or if there i some way to figure out what the filenames for the MSP files mean so i can manually figure out if it is orphaned or not.

it has really gotten out of hand the folder has balooned to about 25gigs and my C drive is a 80gb solid state. i simply cannot deal with microsoft's mess anymore i need help to clean up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hello! I suppose you have already been here??https://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-delete-unused-msi-and-mst-files-from-windows-installer-folder/

#3 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

I found a tool but the site is in what looks like chineese and that imediatly makes my trust level go to zero

Edited by mikeloeven, 22 May 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#4 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

I agree! Wait for a better reply!!

Edited by donetao, 22 May 2014 - 05:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users