Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Licensing Question: options for company PCs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 m1ckrz

m1ckrz

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

So my company doesn't want to spend the $$$ on volume licensing. What other options do I have?

I am currently just looking at OEM licenses, but was wondering how plausible is it to just use system builder licenses as they are so much cheaper. The only major difference between the two is that system builder licenses are "intended for resale use" but does that apply if I am just refurbishing systems for our company?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

As elaborated on this Microsoft page: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-personal-use.aspx#fbid=ufq6GUWHUpm

Quote 'If you are building a system for your personal use or installing an additional operating system in a virtual machine, you will need to purchase Windows 8 software or a Microsoft retail version of Windows 8.1 software. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 system builder software does not permit personal use, and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users.

As indicated in the license terms on the software Pack, use of OEM system builder software for Windows 8.1 products is subject to the following:

• System builder products may only be used to preinstall as the operating system on a customer system you build to sell to an end user.*
  • System builder product may not be used as an upgrade license to an existing underlying Windows operating system.'

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

System builder licenses...are OEM licenses and used to be called such...until many users began to confuse the use of "OEM" when referencing Windows.  Microsoft then changed the name/description to avoid confusion, IMO.  System builder licenses are limited to that specific system, just as licenses by HP, Dell, etc. are.

Many of us use "OEM" to refer to the "we assembled it for you systems" which Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc. all provided to many users.  The true OEMs are Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc...any "boxmaker" providing a finished product for sale to customers.

Not sure why Win 8 licenses are included in the post above...topic relates to Win 7 and is in Win 7 forum.

As for the plausability of using system builder licenses rather than volume licenses...I've always been under the impression that volume licenses are designed to facilitate the installation of Windows by large enterprises with a fairly large number of systems.  Along with simplification, I always thought that doing such also saved enterprises money when compared to the cost of buying individual licenses for each system...and then installing the properl individual licenses on each system.

I could be wrong in my premises but those are based on the small sample that I have experienced in the workplace.

System builder licenses are designed for individuals and small enterprises (who may do custom builds, may not do custom builds), not for enterprises with a fleet of systems.

Not sure what you mean by "refurbishing" a system.  In the eyes of Microsoft, a change of motherboard alone is sufficient to deem that a "new" or "different" system, while routine upgrades of RAM or hard drives have no impact on determining licensing compliance.  The motherboard is rightfully considered the guts of the system and a change of motherboard mandates MS viewing such as a "new" or "different" system. 

Worth A Look

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 May 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#4 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

Management doesn't want to pay the large upfront costs of volume licensing. We have a number of old systems with Vista, XP, or Home Premium versions on them. We want to upgrade them to Windows 7 Pro but only when we need to deploy them. So if SB versions are out of the question, we can still use single-use OEM licenses, correct?

By "refurbishing" I mean taking old hardware with outdated OS (XP, Vista) and upgrading it to a functional system with W7Pro.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

I think you need to visit the link I provided in previous post...and perhaps contact a MS rep in Sales.

Louis

#6 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

I don't need volume licensing. I have a small business with a very manageable number of PCs. The only reason I'd consider VL is because then I could image across the network, but again, its not needed. So essentially, I would only be able to use system builder/OEM licenses if I was reselling. I guess I'll have to get in touch with a sales rep.

I think you need to visit the link I provided in previous post...and perhaps contact a MS rep in Sales.

Louis

Btw, thanks for the link, a lot of good info there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users