Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VGA No Longer Displaying Proper Resolution

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 deetank

deetank

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

My laptop's MAX resolution is 1366 x 768, and whenever I would plug it into my TV via VGA, the TV would display the screen perfectly fine and fit at 1366 x 768 with my standard, default TV settings.

However, as of today, 5/20/14, whenever I plug it in, the TV only infuriatingly displays it at 1024 x 768.  It has never displayed it so little for me before. Sometimes it would drop to 1280, but I would just un/replug it, and it would go back to the 1366.  It's a Windows 8.1 Acer Aspire V5 running on Intel i7 and NVIDIA GEFORCE.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

Is the issue that it does not display the right resolution or that you do not know how to change the resolution?

Sometimes the resolution isn't correct when you run certain apps -- particularly with televisions.

Place the mouse in the bottom-right corner and choose Search. Enter the term Control Panel and click on the result.

Select Adjust Screen resolution from within the Appearance and Personalization subhead.

You'll see the two screens represented graphically as icons in a likely more familiar Windows 7 or earlier type interface. Make resolution drop-down changes, choose Apply.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 deetank

deetank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

One of the very first things I tried.  

BEFORE displaying the screen in my TV, I plugged the VGA in and looked at the resolutions. In the laptop monitor, the resolution was at 1366, and when I looked at the TV's, it also said 1366, and it was grayed out, meaning I couldn't change it.  

Then I switched the display to the TV, and it automatically changed to 1024.  Checked the resolutions again, and both of them are locked in, grayed out, stuck at 1024 x 768.

#4 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

To isolate the issue lets try updating the display drivers, it could be due to outdated drivers.

I would suggest you to update the latest version of display drivers from Nvidia's website and check http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Make sure to select the right OS and graphics card

Let me know how it goes.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 deetank

deetank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

Updated it.

Tried it.

No change. 

Still appreciated you telling me to update them.

#6 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

Few issues that I can think of:

One thing that jumps out to me is that you are probably cloning the display, have you tried extending the displays to allow each display to function at its optimal resolution.

Do you have a HDMI/DVI cable lying around? If your TV and computer both supports either of these, try using these cables. VGA is known to cause such issues.

Change the settings on your TV to 4:3 to accept any resolution changes

#7 deetank

deetank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

Tried extending instead of only second screen. Nothing changed. Still just the same screen in the same stupid 1024 resolution. I've looked through all of my TV's settings and nothing is letting me change anything for the resolution.  And no, I never got an HDMI cable because the screen always looked perfect through the VGA.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

A couple of things to check. Is the refresh rate of the computer set to 60Hz? Also see if changing the aspect ratio of the TV helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users