Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Charms Bar and other issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Adams369

Adams369

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Don't have a clue what my son did to his computer have no charms bar and went into pc settings and all settings are correct. also when using windows 8 apps no way to close out of them unless you end process in task manager.

and he had fb downloader in his computer got rid of it but if I try to re install firefox it must be in the registry because it keeps coming back if I delete all the profiles and settings and reinstall firefox.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

You most likely have an infected computer infected with a program that protects browser settings.

please go to firefox > addons > extensions & remove any suspicious entries (toolbars, things that you have not installed intentionally, don't know what purpose they serve, etc). also go to the windows control panel uninstall all the stuff installed in the last days you are not 100% certain of and remove all toolbars or potentially unwanted software from there and do a full scan of your system with the security software that you have in place and the free version of malwarebytes & adwcleaner.

Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page

After all of the above, reset firefox.

Let me know how it goes and we will take it from there.

Thanks,

~K

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Don't have a clue what my son did to his computer have no charms bar and went into pc settings and all settings are correct. also when using windows 8 apps no way to close out of them unless you end process in task manager.

There are ways to disable the Charms Bar.  See http://www.howtogeek.com/127645/how-to-disable-the-charms-bar-and-switcher-hot-corners-in-windows-8/

To completely close a Windows 8 app press Alt + F4.

#4 Adams369

Adams369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Looked as though the registry entry for the charms bar was missing. it's back now.

took out any reg entries for mozilla and firefox. now wondering if there are any files located in the registry that have to do with fb downloader. caues i can't find anything in the computer that has to do with it. just don't know why it keeps coming up just in firefox browser. after a clean uninstall.

#5 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

Did you run MBAM and adwcleaner? There could very well be left over files in the registry from the virus.

Edited by kunalthechamp, 20 May 2014 - 01:51 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Adams369

Adams369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

I ran malewarebytes, ccleaner reg cleaner, bit defender and superantispyware

no issues found

#7 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

• Firefox: Tools > Add-ons > Extension tab.
  • Google Chrome: Click on the Settings menu> Tools / Extensions
  • Remove the parasites extensions

Most likely the addons/extensions will be called 'Yontoo', 'Fbdownloader',

Reset your default search engine and home page from FbDownloader Search to their default.
To reset your search engine and homepage to their default, we will use the SearchReset extension.This add-on is very simple: on installation, it backs up and then resets your search preferences and home page to their default values, and then uninstalls itself. This affects the search bar, URL bar searches, and the home page.
You can download SearchReset from the below link, and then we will just need to install it to revert Firefox to its default settings.
SEARCHRESET DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open another web page from where you can download the SearchReset Firefox extension)

Remove FbDownloader Search with Junkware Removal Tool

Junkware Removal Tool is a powerful utility, which will remove FbDownloader Search from Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome.

1. You can download the Junkware Removal Tool utility from the below link:
    JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the Junkware Removal Tool utility on your computer)
  2. Once Junkware Removal Tool has finished downloading, please double-click on the JRT.exe icon as seen below.
    If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Junkware Removal Tool, please allow it to run.
  3. Junkware Removal Tool will now start, and at the Command Prompt, you’ll need to press any key to perform a scan for the FbDownloader Search virus.
    Please be patient as this can take a while to complete (up to 10 minutes) depending on your system’s specifications.
  4. When the scan Junkware Removal Tool will be completed, this utility will display a log with the malicious files and registry keys that were removed from your computer.

1. Download HitmanPro from the below link, then double click on it to start this program.
    HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
  2. HitmanPro will start and you’ll need to follow the prompts (by clicking on the Next button) to start a system scan with this program.
  3. HitmanPro will start scanning your computer for malware
  4. Once the scan is complete,you’ll see a screen which will display all the infected files that this utility has detected, and you’ll need to click on Next to remove these malicious files.
  5. Click Activate free license to start the free 30 days trial and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
Remove FbDownloader application from your Facebook account.

FbDownloader has installed its application on your Faceboo account, so we need to remove this unwanted app from your account.

1. Click facebook-gear.png at the top right of any Facebook page and choose Account Settings
  2. From the menu in the left column, select Apps
  3. Click the X on the right FbDownloader app to remove it from your account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users