Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting rid of my new hat (Fedora 19)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

So, I've been fussing around with Fedora 19 on my newly dual booted Win 7 / Fedora machine and I'm bored with it.   :bubbles:

I am ready to throw out my new hat and replace it with...what?

And, equally important, how do I go about it?

I'm thinking Cat is going to say Mint.

A few others will recommend the ubiquitous Ubuntu .

What I've discovered when I was tweaking my Fedora is that I want something that is really customizable, something that I can tweak and install apps so that it mirrors my Windows environment.

Fedora has some serious hurdles to do so, and I'm guessing it's because it's probably used more in Enterprise environments and not for the Standard Home User, which despite my lofty sounding posts, I am at the end of the day....*sigh*.

So here is what my machine currently looks like:

CurrentSetUp_May2014.jpg

With the red circle used to indicate where my Red Hat is currently parked.

I've spent so much time over at DistroWatch I think they're going to make me an Honorary Lurker.   :mellow:

So, what do y'all think - what is a really customizable distro you've used and liked and, this is important, how do I got about replacing my Fedora?

Do I need to uninstall Fedora first and then install my new distro?

Can I just drop a Live CD/DVD in and then just install it over Fedora?

Any and all suggestions / feedback / and coffee is always welcome here.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

UPDATE:

Well, it's looking like I'm going to have to simply remove the Fedora by deleting the Volume and letting Windows reclaim the space.

So, I'm going to go ahead and perform that part but if there is anyone that still has recommendations about which distro I should try next, please let me know and thanks again.

Winterland

#3 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

I recommend Mx-14. It is a collaboration between Mepis, AntiX and Debian stable. It isn't pretty out of the box but it is fast with a very small footprint. Besides that you can make it pretty after you install it. The thing about this distro is that it is small enough to fit on a CD so it doesn't have Gimp, it has a smaller image program, the browser is Qupzilla (I never heard of it), and other standards have substitutions as well. But just use synaptic if you need anything it doesn't have. It does come with Libre Office though.

Edited by bmike1, 20 May 2014 - 02:40 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#4 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

here is their forum here if you want to do your due diligence.

Edited by bmike1, 20 May 2014 - 03:15 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

Hey there bmike1 and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

Thanks for the suggestion. Since MEPIS is so far down on the main Distro Watch list - currently trending at around # 88 - it probably would have been awhile until I got to it, but now I'm there and will be checking it out as well as the MX-14 "Symbiosis".

Thanks for taking the time and again, welcome.

Winterland

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

Winterland, you thought right, Linux Mint it is! 5 year support, until April 2019.

It's up to you whether or not to try the Mate (main & stable), or Cinnamon version.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 22 May 2014 - 09:30 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

well, linux mint 17 is a release  candidate right now. you might get some nasties if you DL it now. it should be out of RC status soon so wait until then if you go with mint17.

Edited by bmike1, 23 May 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#8 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hey there bmike1 - thanks for the reminder. I didn't even know what the RC stood for, so I appreciate it.

@Cat - are you already running the Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” MATE RC?

Also, I saw in the Comments below (on the Mint Blog) someone making mention of waiting for the KDE version...is this worth the wait? Is the KDE version as stable as the MATE version?

Winterland

#9 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Do I need to uninstall Fedora first and then install my new distro?

Can I just drop a Live CD/DVD in and then just install it over Fedora?

No need to uninstall Fedora. Durring the install process you will be asked what you want to do.

#10 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

Winterland, you thought right, Linux Mint it is! 5 year support, until April 2019.

It's up to you whether or not to try the Mate (main & stable), or Cinnamon version.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

Cat

You know.... if you are like me you wonder what the difference is between Mate and Cinnamon. Well, I did a little research and discovered Mate is gnome2  and gnome 3 was similar to windows8 DE (designed for a tablet) so Mint programmers made an up-to-date DE (made with modern tools) and they called it Cinnamon. 

Edited by bmike1, 23 May 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

@Cat - are you already running the Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” MATE RC?

Yes, it's running great! The Software Manager has never ran this good.

Right now, I have only one small issue with the OS, but that could be how I have it installed. Instead of using Mint's bootloader, I'm using Easy BCD 2.2, being that Mint is on a 2nd drive, where some of my backups, data & VM partitions for both Windows 7 & 8.1 Pro are residing. The issue is that it doesn't always see a second monitor (consistently & properly) when attached (a 24" ASUS attached to the HDMI port of the notebook). It likely wouldn't happen on a tower PC. And it could be the notebook's GPU that's causing it. If so, it's a serious issue to be worked out, as it has both Intel & Nvidia GPU's. May need to play with Nvidia drivers.

Remind me to keep this issue updated.

On my XPS 8700, Mint 17 will reside on a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO, where Windows 7 Pro was at until I purchased a 250GB model of the same (see specs in my sig). Right now, the 120GB is still there, but disconncted. Once the stable version of Linux Mint 17 Mate is released, then it'll be installed onto the SSD after secure erase. Not before it's considered officially steady, as that is my best PC by far.

It has been normal practice that when converting from RC to regular status, no reinstall is needed, updates will make it the stable version.

That's why I still use the RC ISO's for installs, the Update Manager is smart enough to know that it's no longer pre-release & will adjust.

You know.... if you are like me you wonder what the difference is between Mate and Cinnamon. Well, I did a little research and discovered Mate is gnome2  and gnome 3 was similar to windows8 DE (designed for a tablet) so Mint programmers made an up-to-date DE (made with modern tools) and they called it Cinnamon.

Modern yes, but completely stable, the jury is still out. The Mate version of Linux Mint is still the main version & most popular by far. Yes, the same can be said as to the comparison of Windows 8, it's unfortunate that Cinnamon is seen as the same by some, but there's some truth to this. The main & obvious difference being that the MInt developers hasn't planted spyware into it's 'modern" style OS's.

That's why Cinnamon will never be a popular as Mate (the long time stable version). Too much of the same crap that's in today's Ubuntu, all of this "modern" crap that most of us computer users with any knowledge knows that customers has rejected by a wide margin. Though there is growing interest in Cinnamon, it's never going to be a main version of anything (this package can be installed onto Linux OS's based upon Ubuntu).

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 May 2014 - 10:24 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Wow, Cat, way to go with the info!

Thanks for all the feedback, impressions and opinions about Mint and it's variants and your thoughts about Ubuntu.

Because I'm just starting, I'm going to jump in all the way and install Mint 17.

I know there's a chance to run into a few bugs but I'm not really too worried about all that and it's a LTS, so I'll have enough time to maybe even learn something. :lol:

Thanks again to everyone who posted and offered ideas and suggestions.

I'm going to go ahead and dowload my ISO, run the Live DVD to make sure everything looks and feels good and then...install.

I'll give you updates as I get them

Winterland - now with that Minty fresh flavor!

#13 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

Look at me!  :bounce:

I'm surfing around the Internet with my Live DVD of Mint 17.

Initial thoughts -

• my Numbers Lock wasn't On

• Default search engine for this Firefox is Yahoo  (bleh)

• I hate the pointy finger/small hand cursor thingy (I'm assuming / hoping I can change this)

• No sound on YouTube - speaker symbol has the "x" on it and no amount of clicking with turn the sound On. I did try other sites (Daily Motion, ESPN, MSN news videos, etc.) and they all worked without any issues. Will have to look that up.

All right, off I go to try some sights and fuss with a few other apps and then, the install....

Winterland

#14 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

Winterland, my advice to you is to try and get involved with the local Linux Users Group. To find one, google is your friend! If you are at a University there is probably one there.... talk to the Unix professor. If there isn't a local users group perhaps you could start one.

Edited by bmike1, 24 May 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#15 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hey there bmike1 and good morning to you.

I have looked for some local Linux Users groups but while I do live in The Great Commonwealth of Virginia....(insert old timey salute here)...I happen to live in a way less populated area. Heck, some would say I live in the Country, so Linux users are far and few in these parts. But I'll keep looking.

As for me starting one, I certainly don't feel qualified on any level to teach anyone anything at this point but maybe...I hope.

UPDATE:

Well, my first initial install attempt of Mint 17 did not go over real well. I selected the Install button on the desktop from the Live DVD that I was running and clicked my way though the first couple of generic screens - location, time, etc - and then I got a failure notice so I cancelled the install.

After I rebooted, I went back into Disk Management and notice that another Volume had been created...I'm assuming that once I started the Install it created it but now I'm not sure what to do - delete the existing Volumes and try to the install again?

Here is what my Disk looked like before I attempted to install Mint 17 and after I had uninstalled Fedora:

PostFedora.jpg

While I was attempting to install Mint 17, here is the notice I got from the Mint Installer (sorry about the quality, I had to use my phone, since I could not screen-shot it):

1stMintInstallattempt.jpg

The odd thing is that right after I selected OK, I was presented with another prompt that look like I could use this Slider feature to adjust how much space I wanted to select for my Mint install, it was as though after this pop up, the install was still going through...I forgot ('cause I was freaking out just a bit) to take a photo of that screen and then just cancelled the whole install attempt.

Once I rebooted, I open up my Disk Management to take a peek under the hood and here is what my drives looked like:

PostMintInstallattempt.jpg

Notice the brand-spankin'-new 7.48 GB Healthy Partition (which took it's space from the previously 194.82 GB Free Space from my first pic)?

So, can I or should I delete those two Volumes (the 187.34 and the 7.48) and let Windows reclaim that space and then try to install?

Or should I try something else?

Appreciate all the patience and time everyone has been offering.

Please let me know when you've a moment and again, thanks.

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users