Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixed problem with display, now new GPU runs INCREDIBLY hot.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CGV2222

CGV2222

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

I had a post before about my computer and how my GTX 660 wasn't working anymore, the display wasn't showing up and I had the help from a bunch of you guys, but I managed to get my hands on a GTX 550 Ti but the temperatures are INSANE! I can't even run Path Of Exile without my computer going absolutely bonkers, Speedfan clocks idle at high 60c to low 70c and that freaks me out. Can anyone offer any help? My GTX 660 never ran at temperatures this crazy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:58 AM

it is usually air flow being blocked that causes that kind of temperature range. either the gpu heat sink is clogged with debris, or the gpu fan isn't turning like it should because it is clogged with dust. i keep a 550ti myself on standby for the directx11 if i ever need it, my evga 550ti is the sort that directs the airflow out of the back of the case unlike my old 9800gt that just keeps the hot air flowing back onto itself like a convection oven.so its idles at a toasty 60c.

my GTX 2_5 cards hurl the hot air out of the back, and they idle around 50c .

another variable is your case air flow. if there is a mismatch of pressure, , then the interior cabinet heat can accumulate. i have seen users improvise a top exhaust opening with a fan to pull hot air out from the top, and it usually renders  cooler interior temperatures that way.  Most newer cases have that provision built in, i think the liquid cooled cpu coolers are configured so that  the top case fan opening mounts the cpu cooler radiator also.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

70C on a video card isn't that insane, i have been running a 660 (non-ti) for a long time and it (as far as it says) always reaches 75°C on full load, is the 550 ti new? If not maybe you should try to get the dust bunnies out of it. 

And yeah, listen to synergy, make sure you don't have any big differences in positive or negative pressure going on

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

most cards black out after 100c which is literally around water boiling point.  sometimes they will get hot to the point where they throttle down to keep from overheating, which is in turn going to hinder performance considerably. a 550ti is of the fermi generation and they were really an overclocking wonder of inneficiency. you can get speccy or gpu-z to monitor your clock speeds. they very well could have been increased in some sort of automatic fashion which in turn will increase heat. but chances are,  the card just needs a decent cleaning of the fan and heatsink..

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

edit:

i forgot about evga precision utility. with it you can manually increase  fan speeds to achieve satisfactory heat range. i don't know if it would be a good thing for the gpu fan in the long haul though to keep it revving high constantly/.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users