Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown contacts show up in To: list for Yahoo Mail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nilbialr

nilbialr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

When I try to start a new email and begin to type a name, a drop-down list of suggestions appears, but many of the people on the list are unknown to me, and are not in my contacts list.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hello! It's possible that one of your know contacts has been hacked or yourself has been hacked. You should contact your email provided.

Your account has been compromised, Yahoo strongly suggests that you change your password NOW. Then it will stop. Run a virus scan. Alert your contacts not to click any links in the message because it is a virus/worm At one time someone sent you an infected email and they didn't know. Like those forward chain mails. It latched on to your contact list. I'm not sure if BC's malware team can help, but you are infecting other people and you need to get this fixed immediately.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100831074112AAVoIDF

Edited by donetao, 19 May 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

Have you gotten mails that were sent to you and others as a mass mailing? Did you ever use REPLY ALL with any of them? If you did, that could be where some of the names are coming from.

#4 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Hello! Are you able to see your contacts list? Can you delete names from your list. I may have gotten carried away on this. I just dealt with a similar problem and the person had been hacked?? Queen-Evie makes a good point! The Heartbleed thing has got me nervous. If you delete them and they come back, then we need to worry.

Edited by donetao, 19 May 2014 - 10:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users