Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undoing Gateway's overclocking in order to make an unstable system stable

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XbZEod74P8I4fyhfCp0DL7F

http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFiles/Document/Generic%20UG/Generic%20UG_Gateway_1.0_A_A.zip?acerid=634292934410646391&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=FX%20SERIES&Step3=FX540&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFiles/Document/Generic%20UG/Generic%20UG_Gateway_1.0_A_A.zip?acerid=634292964722806427&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=FX%20SERIES&Step3=FX540&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

http://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/gateway-fx540xt-review/

It was stated in that review that the overclocked CPU is not stable (which is true) and that once they removed the effects of the overclocking, the system became stable.

How do I do that properly (I.E without causing some hideous imbalance between voltage and.. something else... that will have some horrible effect and lead my already aging motherboard to become a brick)?

I took one look at the bios and scurried here like a frightened mouse looked through the bios and I don't see anything clearly labeled as "adjust this value down to lower the clock speed", let alone anything in increments that seem to resemble anything familiar (3.00 GHZ, 3.7 GHZ, etc), and have no idea what I would lower those values to in order to achieve the specific result I want (basically to undo the overclocking so my system becomes stable) as opposed to setting them WAY TOO low and gimping myself for no reason, or not setting them quite low enough, or... whatever.

I downloaded ntune (the utility for my specific motherboard) and... in addition to reading bad things about it, I found that the program:

1: Is really old

2: Seems to cause my computer to hang (it becomes unresponsive, and soon even stops transmitting a signal to the monitor) whenever I tell it to "Tune System" - I understand that it is SUPPOSED to sometimes appear unresponsive and sometimes even cause the system to reboot, but even if I tell it to do "Coarse Tuning" which should take about 20 minutes, then leave the computer untouched for well over that length of time (over an hour), I find that when I come back my monitor is still not receiving any signal, and the system is still unresponsive.

I decided to just adjust the FSB value manually in ntune (although I have no idea what I should set it to to reach "base" values (as opposed to the current one, which is 333), but doing that results in the computer hanging (I tried leaving it untouched for a while to see if it was just doing something that takes a while, but that didn't work).

I looked for some third party programs to help me with this, preferably in the same manner that ntune promised to (easy, and as automated as humanly possible). I found this, and when I have time I'll give hunting down the PLL a shot, but I thought I'd ask you guys first.

From what I have read online, I can just alter the FSB value (in what increments, I don't even know) and leave voltage as it is, and despite that seeming to pose a problem intuitively, it actually doesn't, even though I would have to UP the voltage if I were raising the value higher, because reasons.

But I don't see anything clearly labelled that (FSB) in the bios either, and I still can't shake the sense that if I don't lower the voltage by a corresponding amount, some form of stress or.. something bad... will occur :P.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users