Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emails Have Vanished In Outlook Express 6

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dahoe

Dahoe

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:37 AM

Hi there all,
could really use some help here asap, have lost a lot of important emails 2day including some contact numbers for people that i've no way of replacing. I'm running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 by the way.
What happened was, while using Outlook Express 6 today i got the message Outlook Express has generated errors and will be shut down. I've seen this message before and it's usually just a case of reopening it but this time when i opened it back up the past 6 months of mails in my inbox had dissappeared, everything else in all the other folders is fine and untouched as far as i can tell. I then shut down the pc but it told me that Dr Watson was running at this time and so it wouldn't shut down. I left it for a while then came back and shut it down and ran a disk error check which was fine but still no sign of my emails. I also ran Anti-virus and Anti-spyware scans just in case but all clear.
Does anybody know where they might be?? It seems strange that only 6 months worth from the one folder have gone.
Any help is much appreciated....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:06 AM

Have you tried a system restore?

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:57 AM

It would appear the inbox.dbx file got trashed.
I think your only hope in this case is to use a third party recovery tool like dbxtract.
I've used it on more then one occasion and it's never failed yet. It was free at one point but it's now $5.00. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 24 May 2006 - 07:57 AM.

#4 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:20 AM

Cheers for the reply,
i didn't know there was a system restore with Win2000, how do ya access it?

Is there any freeware that you know of that can recover emails?

#5 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:26 AM

Oh I am sorry I thought differently.. maybe hitsquads solution will help you. As far as I know there is no system restore in Win2000.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:36 AM

Is there any freeware that you know of that can recover emails?

I know of no freeware at this time that will extract the messages from an OE .dbx file.
I surely would have left you the link if I did. :thumbsup:
Maybe someone else does. There's plenty of free file recovery apps out there but they won't do the trick.
It's a specialty tool, for lack of a better word.

Edited by HitSquad, 24 May 2006 - 11:38 AM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:24 PM

You aren't using Windows OneCare, are you?

#8 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

Sorry about that was away in Barcelona for the past while, that's why i needed to get into my emails asap as they had my contact phone numbers for mates over there, eventually got in touch with them though so no mad rush now although would still like to recover the emails anyway if possible.

In answer to your question, no i'm not using Windows One Care.

I've tried opening inbox.dbx with Wordpad but it just freezes, prob too big. (around 800mb)

I also tried to recover them with DBXtract but it made all the dates the same so there's around 5000 emails to sift through and lots are just scrambled or deleted spamail so that isn't an option.

Any other suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users