Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blackshades Malware Take Down

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

FBI Cracks Down on Blackshades Malware

Written By

Stolen

May 19, 2014 // 4:02 PM CDT

blackshades500.jpg
FBI press conference

Today, the FBI arrested over 100 individuals in more than a dozen countries all over the world in a coordinated massive cyber takedown.

Blackshades, according to the FBI, is a particularly insidious form of malware which has been used to infect over a million computers worldwide. Blackshades is a remote-administration tool also known as RAT. It is a backdoor that is used by attackers to take control of computers, steal passwords, steal PPI (personally-identifiable information), confiscate Facebook and other social media accounts, record and copy all keystrokes, access documents and photos, operate webcams and spy on people. Blackshades has also been used to initiate large-scale distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.

The software that was developed was available for as low as about $40.00 and was widely abused by hackers known to infect computers and also used to install ransomware.

The FBI has been working in conjunction with other law-enforcement agencies worldwide, most notably in the UK. Ongoing investigations in preparation for the arrests involved interviews, email and physical searches, seizing computers and almost 2,000 domains used by Blackshades.

This massive raid is the largest since 2012 when the FBI arrested over 20 people involved with the program.

Further Reading
International Blackshades Malware Takedown
Malwarebytes Unpacked Blog Post

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lehr

Lehr

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

A shame that this only sets people like that back by a few months given the fact that people will always find ways to conceal themselves and spread garbage around to steal from people.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

More here... http://www.justice.gov/usao/nys/pressreleases/May14/BlackshadesPR.php

I hope they catch all of them and they rot in jail - scumbags!!

#4 mrob

mrob

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

How does the FBI "arrest" people outside the United States?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

When host nations grant authority. Usually a nation the US has an existing extradition treaty with, grant that authority. The FBI and host nation where the suspect is will work in cooperation to secure the arrests.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 flbama39

flbama39

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

My neighbor just had his computer locked up but was warned by a phone call he was going to have computer problems, the call came from Michigan. Then the guy called back and wanted to know if he wanted his computer fixed, could this be a form of Blackshades??

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

I'm no expert, but in the link I posted it says...

Further, using a tool known as “file hijacker,” the RAT enabled users to encrypt, or lock, a victim’s files and demand a “ransom” payment to unlock them. The RAT even came with a prepared script demanding such a ransom.

So I'd say it could be.

#8 BLACKB0X

BLACKB0X

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thats intense. Wonder how long of an investigation that actually was and who reversed it.

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

My neighbor just had his computer locked up but was warned by a phone call he was going to have computer problems, the call came from Michigan. Then the guy called back and wanted to know if he wanted his computer fixed, could this be a form of Blackshades??

these type of calls I got  about 6  times in the past few months ,they say they are Microsoft and I have problems with my computer ,and if I want to to access my computer to fix it  ,iam smart enough to know that Microsoft has no way of knowing my computer is having trouble ,so I just string them along, making fun of them the whole time ,till they say something nasty [or I say something nasty ]and  hang up

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#10 untecked

untecked

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

Ques: to all US Congress, and supreme court, and all former Bush, Clinton, and Obama staff:

Is the FBI also going to investigate the NSA, CIA, and itself for doing the very same thing via Nazi and gestapo tacktics in violation of our rights to protection against illegal search and seizure according to the US Constitution??????????????

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

Ques: to all US Congress, and supreme court, and all former Bush, Clinton, and Obama staff:

Is the FBI also going to investigate the NSA, CIA, and itself for doing the very same thing via Nazi and gestapo tacktics in violation of our rights to protection against illegal search and seizure according to the US Constitution??????????????

I thik our o the wrong forum there lefty ,lol

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users